X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyonin
    Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
    • Oct 2010

Re: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Dogen - A Love Supreme

Thank you for this teaching, Jundo Sensei.

Pairing Jazz and Zen seems very appropiate!
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Comment

• Ray
      • Oct 2011

Gassho

Ray

Comment

• Seimyo
        • Jan 2012

Jundo,
        I absolutely love the Coltrane/Dogen comparison. Brilliant work.

No 'Giant Steps' here but constant progress.

Gassho,
        Chris

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Comment

• Hoyu
          • Nov 2010

Thank you Jundo Sensei for delving more into this comparison of Dogen to jazz. Admittedly I know very little about Dogen's mind and even less about jazz. Your continued elaborations on both really assist me in seeing this connection and help to make familiar the unfamiliar.

Also, thank you to Rinsen for sharing these videos!

Gassho,
          Hoyu(John)
          Ho (Dharma)
          Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• Nindo

... may not have been always himself quite sure where the music was taking him -- or what he himself "meant"!
            I don't think this is sacrilegious towards Dogen; I think this is hitting it spot on. Dharma talks are often called "live words" - they are not meant to be picked apart word by word in an academic exercise.

Now I want to go blow my horn 8) but I have 2 more periods left to site for zazenkai :wink:

Comment

• Thane
              • May 2012

Hi Jundo. I really enjoyed this talk, oh and your piano playing of course. I like the way you compare Dogen to the jazz music of Coltrane and your view that Dogen is trying to get across what he feels rather than intellectual certanties.

Groovy tunes

Gassho

Thane

Comment

• Mp

Brilliant Jundo! I love it! Wonderful how we can see Dogen's teachings in so many things.

Comment

• Shokai
                  Treeleaf Priest
                  • Mar 2009

Thank you Jundo. I just watched this talk for maybe the third or forth time over the past year. I am grateful and applaud your tenacity to teach us the intricacies of Dogen's legacy. It was enough to send me on a quest to unravel the mysteries of the dharma and develop a determination to "just sit" I truly cannot find the words to thank you enough for getting me "into" Dogen.

gassho,
                  合掌,生開
                  gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Genshin
                    • Jan 2013

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
                    Matt

Comment

• Oheso
                      • Jan 2013

hmm, Gertrude Stein
                      on my mind-

“. . . creation must take place
                      between the pen and the paper, not before in a thought or afterwards in a recasting...

It will come if it is there and if you will let it come.”

it's there, Gertrude, it's there.
                      and neither are they otherwise.

Comment

• Byokan
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Apr 2014

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
                        Byōkan
                        sat today
                        展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                        Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Onkai
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo. I've started reading the Shobogenzo with limited understanding, but appreciating its beauty. Your talk suggests that this is not only a matter of my ignorance, but also that Dogen's words are meant to be felt rather than analytically grasped. The jazz metaphor is helpful.

Gassho,
                          Onkai
                          SatToday
                          美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                          恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Jundo
                            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Onkai
                            Thank you, Jundo. I've started reading the Shobogenzo with limited understanding, but appreciating its beauty. Your talk suggests that this is not only a matter of my ignorance, but also that Dogen's words are meant to be felt rather than analytically grasped. The jazz metaphor is helpful.

Gassho,
                            Onkai
                            SatToday
                            Hi Onkai,

Yes, but it helps to know all the "standard tunes" and musical references he was working from too in making his wild jazz. He never left the Zen/Mahayana Buddhist farm for all his wildings. So, it is a combination of sound/feeling and his bouncing off and playing with pretty standard, conservative Zen and Mahayana Teachings to get to the marrow of those or bring out fresh implications.

The best source for those "standard tunes" (although a little tedious to read him that way) is all the footnotes from the Soto Zen Text Project versions, when they exist (they only have been finished for some sections).

Please see my somewhat longer introduction to "Grand Master D.", How to Read Dogen ...
                            LONG POST A few excerpts for some tips and hints I've posted from time to time for those who want to dip into a bit of Shobogenzo ... ---- In my own "in a nutshell" description of how to approach Shobogenzo ... I often describe Dogen as a Jazzman, bending and re-livening the "standard tunes" of Zen

Gassho, J

SatToday
                            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Onkai
                              Treeleaf Unsui
                              • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo. That is a wonderful thread (How to Read Dogen http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-to-Read-Dogen ). The translation of Shobogenzo I have is the one by Kaz Tanahashi. It is beautiful. I will now look into the texts you listed to understand the background of Dogen's references. There is so much information, it gets overwhelming, but I'll look into the texts one at a time.

Gassho,
                              Onkai
                              SatToday
                              美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                              恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Jundo
                                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Onkai
                                Thank you, Jundo. That is a wonderful thread (How to Read Dogen http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-to-Read-Dogen ). The translation of Shobogenzo I have is the one by Kaz Tanahashi. It is beautiful. I will now look into the texts you listed to understand the background of Dogen's references. There is so much information, it gets overwhelming, but I'll look into the texts one at a time.

Gassho,
                                Onkai
                                SatToday
                                Yes, don't be overwhelmed by Dogen. It is like trying to master the collected works of Shakespeare at one go. It is also, like reading fellow word-smith Shakespeare, a delicate dance of just letting the beauty and power of the words sweep one in ... and sometimes checking the footnotes to see what he was going on about.

Romeo & Juliet Act 2, Scene 3 ...

The gray-eyed morn smiles on the frowning night,
                                Checkering the eastern clouds with streaks of light,
                                And fleckled darkness like a drunkard reels
                                From forth day’s path and Titan’s fiery wheels.
                                Now, ere the sun advance his burning eye,
                                The day to cheer and night’s dank dew to dry,
                                I must upfill this osier cage of ours
                                With baleful weeds and precious-juicèd flowers.
                                Modern translation ...

The smiling morning is replacing the frowning night. Darkness is stumbling out of the sun’s path like a drunk man. Now, before the sun comes up and burns away the dew, I have to fill this basket of mine with poisonous weeds and medicinal flowers.

Titan's Fiery Wheels: In Greek mythology, the Titans were the ancestors of the Olympian gods. Titans could be described as nature gods. One Titan (sometimes called Titan and sometimes called Helios) had the rays of the sun circling his head, and drove a chariot from east to west across the sky each day. So "flecked darkness" (night) is fleeing the sun, so as to avoid being run over by the chariot wheels.

Osier: a small Eurasian willow which grows mostly in wet habitats. It is usually coppiced, being a major source of the long flexible shoots (withies) used in basketwork.
                                Perhaps to dive into some of Dogen's major and most oft cited works ... Genjo Koan, Bussho and the like ... before the less cited though also so rewarding. Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth or Hamlet before diving into Troilus and Cressida or Henry VI Part 1,

Gassho, J

SatToday
                                Last edited by Jundo; 07-11-2016, 10:21 PM.
                                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...