Special reading - eight types of enlightenment

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaitan
    • Mar 2023

Interesting thread, indeed, talking about enlightenment seems soooo ambiguous since language is already the use of abstractions subject to particular interpretations, regardless of the conventional definitions. And so what I understand so far is that enlightenment tries to explain something that cannot be explained in words, but you have to say something. Reminds me a book from Katagiri Roshi that goes like that.

Sorry for running long and rambling

Gasshō

SatToday

Bernal
    Last edited by Kaitan; 09-07-2023, 03:08 AM.
    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
    Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Kaitan
      • Mar 2023

I came back to this text a read it all this afternoon. I like the broad description of the different Buddhist schools of thought. As mentioned here in the comments he is bias towards Pure Land. Nevertheless, enjoyed reading a critical view of Zen Buddhism, knowing he hasn't been in direct contact with it. I noticed that he might have discarded the figure of bodhisattva in Chinese Buddhism, am I right? Again, it's always enriching for me to hear different points of view.

Gasshō

stlah

Bernal
      Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
      Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Matt Johnson
        • Jun 2024

Just to summarize:

Enlightenment as Escape (E1):
        Focuses on escaping the suffering of this world, rooted in beliefs about rebirth and the intrinsic misery of existence.Achieved by abolishing desire through spiritual training, leading to non-rebirth and ultimate extinction, which is seen as bliss.

Enlightenment as Emptiness (E2):
        Involves realizing the emptiness of all phenomena, meaning they lack inherent existence.This realization can be achieved through intellectual understanding or a deeper existential experience.Promotes a solipsistic view where suffering is seen as a projection of the mind.

Enlightenment as Eternal Life (E3):
        Offers eternal life and complete Buddhahood as the ultimate goal, rather than extinction.Bodhisattvas play a crucial role in helping others along the path to enlightenment.

Tantric Enlightenment (E4):
        Focuses on transformation through ritual and visualization, believing anything can be transformed into enlightenment.Requires long, disciplined training under a guru, with a strong emphasis on the guru-disciple relationship.

Enlightenment as Realization of Buddha Nature (E5): Suggests everyone has an intrinsic Buddha Nature and can achieve enlightenment by realizing this inherent potential.Often involves intensive meditation and strict discipline to overcome mental obstacles.

Enlightenment as Non-Duality (E6):
        Centers on achieving a non-dual perception, where the subject-object distinction drops away.Linked to direct experiences of the ground of being or the ultimate reality.

Enlightenment as Impassivity (E7):
        Advocates for complete detachment and impassivity, akin to a stone Buddha unaffected by external conditions.Emphasizes equanimity and fortitude in the face of transient worldly circumstances.

Enlightenment as Faith (E8):
        Relies on placing complete faith in the saving power of Buddhas and bodhisattvas, rather than personal effort.Popular in Far Eastern traditions and requires a recognition of one's incapacity to save oneself, leading to settled faith and assurance of rebirth in the Buddha Land.

​​​---------

Well no wonder there is so much confusion! It would also seem that each of these types of enlightenment is present in each of these schools in differing amounts. Being much more familiar with Zen, I can attest that we have quite a healthy hermit tradition E1, E6, E8 as well as a vibrant Tantric tradition E4 as evidenced by the Sho Sai Myo Kichi Jo Darani, whete the priests actually trace sanskrit glyphs in the air/mind... in all traditions you can see this sense of E7 and the types of extreme training that is done. The solipsism mentioned about E2 is, in my view a necessary precursor discovering non-duality and interbeing. You have to feel really lonely before you realise your fundamental connection. But we are not a monism which means we are somewhere in between all being one and all being separate.... and in there is a whole universe of relationships which has a mechanics which can be studied. As my friend Esho said to me recently "In every Zen Sangha there are Dragons, serpents and worms, It's only natural"

​​​​​​Just some initial impressions. Good article, if somewhat dismissive of Zen. Many ways to the top of the mountain.

_/\_

Matt

Comment

Working...