X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geika
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ugrok
    I like the idea of "not knowing", but it is far more comfortable to know things rather than not know them !
    Personally, I feel not knowing something to be comforting as well. It lets me off the hook from having to know everything, because I think that is what the mind is always trying to do. Giving permission to thoughts to not have to be constantly working things out disrupts that pattern and allows them to rest. Of course they will eventually start rolling again, but we can notice this and once again give permission to not-know, or not-need-to-know-right-now.

Originally posted by Bion
    By the time you’re done seeing or smelling or tasting or thinking, that moment is gone and fully complete.
    But there is no end of a moment between moments. The perceived beginning of a taste or smell is never the actual beginning: it can be traced back to the beginning of all things, billions of years ago, and whatever was before that, in an unending thread, or billions of spider-webbing threads all the way forward to this present moment of tasting and smelling an orange. The perceived end of a taste or smell merely transforms into the next taste or smell, even if there is nothing being eaten and we are merely breathing air.

Originally posted by Bion
    If Uggy’s eyes didn’t see the flames and Uggy’s nose didn’t smell the smoke, if Uggy’s skin didn’t feel the heat and Uggy’s mind didn’t use the concept of burning and tree, would the tree still be burning for Uggy? What else is burning if not the Uggy-tree?

Originally posted by Ugrok
    Well a lot of forests have burned without me seeing them...
    But your other senses have allowed for you to have knowledge of things that you do not personally witness. As for things that burn down that we never see, hear, or think of, it is still not separate from each of us in the grand scheme of things.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Meian
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Geika
      Personally, I feel not knowing something to be comforting as well. It lets me off the hook from having to know everything, because I think that is what the mind is always trying to do. Giving permission to thoughts to not have to be constantly working things out disrupts that pattern and allows them to rest. Of course they will eventually start rolling again, but we can notice this and once again give permission to not-know, or not-need-to-know-right-now.
      Gassho2

My understanding of this is: Not needing to know. Not having to be in control. Not needing to know the answers. This used to scare me so much. Now, I can find it liberating to just be.

Gassho
      [st-lh]
      鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
      visiting Unsui
      Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Geika
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Meian
        My understanding of this is: Not needing to know. Not having to be in control. Not needing to know the answers. This used to scare me so much. Now, I can find it liberating to just be.

Gassho
        Sat, lah
        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

Working...