time and attainment do not matter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tai Shi
    • Oct 2014

When pain is no more during Shikantaza, we have found each other. The point is other--person, people are the point and they ease our pain, they know our pain because we know their pain. We are Epochal in our own ways. Sit for ladies of the night and men who made them that way. Tonglen.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Late
      I am in a point where I'm still practising to sit zazen reguralry even five minutes daily, so I don't have clue if I am doing it right.

I have to ask about quote above: when I'm sitting, thougts come to my mind, like "Oh, I have to do this and that". After that comes thought like "I have to remember that", and then "How I remember that? Should I write it down?".

When I notice that pattern, I try to convince myself, that just now I am sitting, so I don't do anything else. I try to tell myself, that if those things are so important, they come back to me sooner or later. Just now I'm sitting. Is that even near what You meant by

Or am I putting too much effort to not to stop thoughts?
      Hi,

Sometimes in sitting we get caught in long changes of thought, e.g., "I am hungry, I wonder what is for lunch, I would like a sandwich, but I need to buy bread, I wonder what time the grocery closes, I need to put gas in the car ... " This is just ordinary thinking, one thought after another.

If, during Zazen, you notice you are doing this, just don't continue the chain ... return to following the breath or open awareness. Please think about lunch and shopping and gas later, after Zazen.

(Of course, if it is very VERY important ... e.g., "I must remember to turn the gas off the stove" ... It is okay to think about it a little, or even get up and turn off the gas! Then, return to Zazen).

Does that answer your question?

Gassho, Jundo

PS - Late, would you do me a favor? Sign a human first name, and put a human face picture to accompany your posts? It helps us keep things a little more human here. Thank you. Here are instructions.

STLah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Late
        • Apr 2021

Hi!

Thank You for your response.

I quess I am on right tracks, but maybe I should convince myself little less. Just sit. And of course, when my cats are killing each other or I smell smoke I should not sit on zafu, instead "sit" and put fire off...

My official first name is Lauri, but I've been always called Late except for doctors, teachers and officials. In finnish "Late" is just short from Lauri, not a hint to my lacking sense of time. Wich is better, that I shall use. Picture is coming. When, I can't promise anything due to my lacking sense of time.

Gassho

Lauri

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Late
          Hi!

Thank You for your response.

I quess I am on right tracks, but maybe I should convince myself little less. Just sit. And of course, when my cats are killing each other or I smell smoke I should not sit on zafu, instead "sit" and put fire off...

My official first name is Lauri, but I've been always called Late except for doctors, teachers and officials. In finnish "Late" is just short from Lauri, not a hint to my lacking sense of time. Wich is better, that I shall use. Picture is coming. When, I can't promise anything due to my lacking sense of time.

Gassho

Lauri
          Thank you Late, or Lauri.

Gassho, Jundo

STKah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...