SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006
    • 39216

    SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

    A little talk about small customs and rituals in the Zendo (such as straightening our slippers, not taking a short cut across the room, keeping our hands a certain way), and why those are elements of practice.

    It applies mostly when sitting in a formal group, like our weekly Treeleaf Zazenkai, but it is good to incorporate the attitude even when sitting by oneself at home sometimes. (At other times, it is okay to totally forget all the formalities and just sit too. ).

    Please have a listen. In Zazen, there is "no place to go," but no short cuts too!


    Gassho, Jundo

    SatTodayLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Tairin
    Member
    • Feb 2016
    • 2726

    #2
    Thank you Jundo. I have tried to incorporate ritual into my Zazen both when attending the TreeLeaf Zazenkai and when sitting on my own. I have made some personal adjustments since you gave this talk.


    Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

    Comment

    • Doshin
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • May 2015
      • 2644

      #3
      Thank you

      Doshin
      St

      Comment

      • Horin
        Member
        • Dec 2017
        • 389

        #4
        Thank you, jundo.
        I'm looking forward to check it out tonight.

        Gassho

        Horin

        Stlah

        Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

        Comment

        • Heiso
          Member
          • Jan 2019
          • 824

          #5
          Thank you, Jundo.

          Gassho

          heiso

          StLah

          Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • John.3
            Member
            • Jan 2021
            • 67

            #6
            Thank you Jundo, that is helpful information to know.

            Gassho

            John
            Sat today

            Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • Koutoku
              Member
              • Mar 2020
              • 44

              #7
              Thank you, Jundo.


              Koutoku
              SAT
              Koutoku

              Comment

              • Risho
                Member
                • May 2010
                • 3179

                #8
                I predict in 800 years scholars from all over the galaxy will be debating and writing books on whether Jundo Zenji practiced with slippers or not. There will be books and books pontificating on the merits of slippers and how slippers are the core of our practice. Dogen's practice-enlightenment will be placed with a new slipper zen.

                Seriously - thank you for this; Mara is always in the details; I always bow during the bell and I use more than three fingers! Thank you

                Gassho

                Risho
                -stlah
                Last edited by Risho; 02-03-2021, 01:02 PM.
                Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

                Comment

                • Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 39216

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Risho
                  I predict in 800 years scholars from all over the galaxy will be debating and writing books on whether Jundo Zenji practiced with slippers or not. There will be books and books pontificating on the merits of slippers and how slippers are the core of our practice. Dogen's practice-enlightenment will be placed with a new slipper zen.

                  Seriously - thank you for this; Mara is always in the details; I always bow during the bell and I use more than three fingers! Thank you

                  Gassho

                  Risho
                  -stlah
                  I do not kid. Look at the slippers, and the white stripes, all perfectly aligned ...



                  The secret of Zen is there.

                  Gassho, J

                  STLah
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

                  Comment

                  • Risho
                    Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 3179

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jundo
                    I do not kid. Look at the slippers, and the white stripes, all perfectly aligned ...



                    The secret of Zen is there.

                    Gassho, J

                    STLah


                    Gassho

                    Risho
                    -stlah
                    Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

                    Comment

                    • Meian
                      Member
                      • Apr 2015
                      • 1722

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jundo
                      I do not kid. Look at the slippers, and the white stripes, all perfectly aligned ...



                      The secret of Zen is there.

                      Gassho, J

                      STLah
                      For those of us who are obsessed with lining things up 'just so', this is a beautiful sight. I always love these photos. [emoji3059]

                      Gassho2, meian st lh

                      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                      My life is my temple and my practice.

                      Comment

                      • Jundo
                        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 39216

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Meian
                        For those of us who are obsessed with lining things up 'just so', this is a beautiful sight. I always love these photos. [emoji3059]

                        Gassho2, meian st lh

                        Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                        Oh, when I get someone who is obsessed with lining things up, do you know what I tell them?

                        MESS UP YOUR SLIPPERS and put your white stripe sideways! Please do. One should not be attached to neat, one should not be attached to sloppy.

                        I will talk about that at a Zazenkai soon.

                        Gassho, J

                        STLah
                        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

                        Comment

                        • Risho
                          Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 3179

                          #13
                          hahahah you speak out of both sides of your no-sided mouth

                          Seriously - I see what you are saying - don't be too attached to one or the other - it's both and not both - it's one and not one. I don't want to get zenny, but I don't have another way of saying it.

                          If you keep your slippers neat and you are always worried about their position, your mind is too tight; the right medicine is to loosen up. If your slippers are haphazardly placed just anywhere, your mind is too loose, you need to tighten up. Either way drop off that 100 foot pole.

                          Life is practice, practice is life

                          Tight mind, tight practice, tight life, no flow

                          Loose mind, lose mind, lazy life, no flow

                          No loose, no tight, no slippers, no problem

                          It's all in the middle

                          We just need and use the appropriate medicine.

                          Just this, just this

                          Gassho

                          Risho
                          -stlah

                          P.S> I'm not a poet, and I know it hahahah
                          Last edited by Risho; 02-03-2021, 04:34 PM.
                          Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

                          Comment

                          • Suuko
                            Member
                            • May 2017
                            • 405

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Risho
                            hahahah you speak out of both sides of your no-sided mouth

                            Seriously - I see what you are saying - don't be too attached to one or the other - it's both and not both - it's one and not one. I don't want to get zenny, but I don't have another way of saying it.

                            If you keep your slippers neat and you are always worried about their position, your mind is too tight; the right medicine is to loosen up. If your slippers are haphazardly placed just anywhere, your mind is too loose, you need to tighten up. Either way drop off that 100 foot pole.

                            Life is practice, practice is life

                            Tight mind, tight practice, tight life, no flow

                            Loose mind, lose mind, lazy life, no flow

                            No loose, no tight, no slippers, no problem

                            It's all in the middle

                            We just need and use the appropriate medicine.

                            Just this, just this

                            Gassho

                            Risho
                            -stlah

                            P.S> I'm not a poet, and I know it hahahah
                            The middle way.

                            Gassho,
                            Sat today,
                            Geerish.

                            Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
                            Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

                            Comment

                            • Meian
                              Member
                              • Apr 2015
                              • 1722

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Jundo
                              Oh, when I get someone who is obsessed with lining things up, do you know what I tell them?

                              MESS UP YOUR SLIPPERS and put your white stripe sideways! Please do. One should not be attached to neat, one should not be attached to sloppy.

                              I will talk about that at a Zazenkai soon.

                              Gassho, J

                              STLah
                              Gassho2
                              meian st lh

                              Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                              My life is my temple and my practice.

                              Comment

                              Working...