• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Answers about Death and Happiness

What Happens When We Die ...

... and Does Zen Make Us Happy in the Meantime?

YES!

I was asked yesterday by a friend if Zen Practice provides us with a solid and reliable answer about what happens after we die, and whether this Path makes us "happy" in the meantime, during life.

My response to both is a resounding YES!

I believe that Zen practice provides a very clear and definitive answer as to what happens when we die: There is no "birth" and there is no "death" from the start, for quite simply, "we" are intimately all of reality manifesting as you and as me and as all things and events in certain places and times. Our "self" is empty, and we empty our self, pouring forth as each and all of this. In one way, of course, little you and little me rise for a time then fade, like waves on the sea or crumbling sand castles, someday kaput, dust to dust. Maybe our end is a virus, or maybe we get hit by a bus. Yet, when we come to know our "self" as more than just a "me," and realize identity in this manifesting wholeness and all other "selves," knowing ourself as just the "sea" that is flowing and every grain of sand, then there is no coming and going even as a "me" comes and goes, is born and dies, our personal waves and castles fading away. So long as the wholeness flows on and on, that is our original face flowing on and on, as all and as each and every drop and grain and happening and instant. This inter-identity and intra-flowing in and out is what is known first hand on the Zafu cushion as the hard borders of inside/outside drop away. Such is the Great Matter, what the ancient masters preach.

As well, all phenomena of this world are simultaneously all other phenomena of this world, so "we" are the grasses and stars, all moments before/during/after our little lives, the viruses, buses and rusty tin cans, all sights and feelings of this world, whether billions of years ago or trillions of years to come, and are each other, just as we are ourselves (and I say that as someone who is otherwise rather skeptical of more specific claims about rebirth.) We are constantly "reborn" as each and all of that. We are also the results of causes that came before, and the effects of our actions ripple onward endlessly after our time, helping birth and make the sea into the sea it will be. Where the world goes after our small time is where we go, for all is just us and we are just that. More than just some intellectual idea of connection, when embodied as Zazen one realizes through and through this Whole Face that shines as our little individual faces. Slap one's face, whether yours or any other, and the sting is all faces.

Now, do we come back as wild dogs or powerful gods, in heavens or hells? I leave that be. Let us just worry about this life in the meantime, because I see folks who act like wild animals, and make hells for themselves here in this one.

And during our finite lives, I believe that Buddhism makes us Happy (Big H) if that means total equanimity, acceptance, flowing and embracing of all the sadness and happiness (small h) of life, a kind of Joy to sometimes be smiling and Joy to sometimes be crying, a Joy to laugh and a Joy to sometimes grieve. (If one reads closely all those "happiness" books by the Dalai Lama, that is really what he means by "happiness" too). While we are alive we have preferences, dreams and plans, hopes and fears ... but part of us can learn to flow and be "Happy" when our hopes and preferences are realized and also "Happy" when they are not and we are left crushed in despair, likewise for our fears. Sometimes our human hearts are glad, and sometimes they are broken, yet there is an unbreakable Heart (this mirror Face) which holds all the round or broken, smooth or shattered pieces. In this Path, we know the Flowing Whole that flows right through all seeming "win and lose, ups and downs" ... and there is ultimately nothing to fear.

It is very simple really.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLentAHAND
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-13-2020, 09:25 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Rich
    • Apr 2009

Thanks. Inspiring

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Onka
      • May 2019

Everything is perfect.
      Gassho
      Onka
      ST

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
      穏 On (Calm)
      火 Ka (Fires)
      They/She.

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Onka
        Everything is perfect.
        Everything is perfectly imperfectly perfectly imperfect.

What is there when little human peabrains drop all their selfish measures of "perfect" and "imperfect"?

Comment

• Kevin M
          • Dec 2018

Thank you Jundo

Beautiful echoes of Ecclesiastes at the start of that last paragraph.

Kevin
          SatToday

Comment

• Meian
            • Apr 2015

One casualty of this pandemic (for me) has been-- I've lost all belief/faith/trust in any concept of a deity. Longtime paradigm for me -- gone.

I trust in science, experience, and observation. My ability to question, reason, analyze. And I am ok with doubt and not knowing -- ultimately, I know nothing. I can only guess and observe, surmise.

"yet there is an unbreakable Heart (this mirror Face) which holds all the round or broken, smooth or shattered pieces. In this Path, we know the Flowing Whole that flows right through all" Jundo, i am very curious about this. "Unbreakable Heart" "Mirror Face" and "Flowing Whole" -- what are these? Names for a larger concept of All That Is? Feel like I grasp the idea but don't.

The names speak to me of a greater wholeness that belies our often human frailty.

Gassho, meian st

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
            鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
            visiting Unsui
            Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Meian
              One casualty of this pandemic (for me) has been-- I've lost all belief/faith/trust in any concept of a deity.
              Well, perhaps a Buddhist might respond that if there is a "deity" or "wholeness" or whatever, "it" sure does not leave the viruses out even if we human beings wish it was only the stuff we like.

We take the world as a package deal, go along where the bus trip drags us (sometimes lovely and sometimes a cheap tourist trap), and our stay in this perfectly imperfect hotel of life is partly the towels we are handed, what's served for dinner including the soggy spinach, and the rest up to us. You can either complain and pine for the perfect vacation, or savor the trip you are on.

Unbreakable Heart" "Mirror Face" and "Flowing Whole" -- what are these? Names for a larger concept of All That Is? Feel like I grasp the idea but don't.

The names speak to me of a greater wholeness that belies our often human frailty.
              Right. Imperfect names and images for some wholeness that is a bit too big to fit as one name or idea between our ears.

On the Zafu, we drop the names and just sit back for the bus ride. In fact, we are the bus and the whole trip, and the trip rides as us.

Gassho, J

STLah
              Last edited by Jundo; 05-13-2020, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Thank you Jundo.

[emoji120]

Ghasso
                Bobby
                SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kotei
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Mar 2015

Thank you Jundo.

There is no independent existence... there is no birth and death...
                  And yet we live our life and we'll die our death.
                  I trust that practice helps with all the above.

Gassho,
                  Kotei sat/lah today.
                  義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Onka
                    • May 2019

Originally posted by Jundo
                    Everything is perfectly imperfectly perfectly imperfect. [emoji14]

What is there when little human peabrains drop all their selfish measures of "perfect" and "imperfect"?
                    Life

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
                    穏 On (Calm)
                    火 Ka (Fires)
                    They/She.

Comment

• Horin
                      • Dec 2017

Thank you jundo, for this insightful teaching!!!

It's really interesting how the practice is changing our understanding in so many ways. When we sit zazen and encounter the fading of the border between "you and me", "in and out" and to have a feeling of this that's beyond life and death...we can realize that nothing is seperated from each other, that everything is part of that vast dance of life.
                      And yet we encounter in our daily life the individuality, the world of the forms, and the sentient and insentient beings, the you and me the in and out and the imperfection..and return to the "market place" to be compassionate, to help the sentient beings, trying our best to follow the bodhisattva path.

Gassho

Ben

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Horin
                        It's really interesting how the practice is changing our understanding in so many ways. When we sit zazen and encounter the fading of the border between "you and me", "in and out" and to have a feeling of this that's beyond life and death...we can realize that nothing is seperated from each other, that everything is part of that vast dance of life.
                        And yet we encounter in our daily life the individuality, the world of the forms, and the sentient and insentient beings, the you and me the in and out and the imperfection..and return to the "market place" to be compassionate, to help the sentient beings, trying our best to follow the bodhisattva path.

Comment

• Jakuden
                          • Jun 2015

What a "perfect" thing to read this morning, thank you Jundo Roshi

Gassho,
                          Jakuden
                          SatToday

Comment

• Bokucho
                            • Dec 2018

Beautiful Jundo, thank you for that. What a great read before starting my day.

Gassho,

Joshua
                            SatToday/LaH

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Washin
                              Treeleaf Unsui
                              • Dec 2014

Wonderful teaching! Thank you Jundo

Gassho,
                              Washin
                              sat/lah
                              Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                              Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                              ----
                              I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                              and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

Working...