• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Charity and Desire

Dear all

At present, with so much going on in the world, I notice that before I buy anything, my mind asks me - do you need this more than someone, somewhere else in the world, such as Palestine, the Yemen (where an estimated 11 million children are in need of humanitarian assistance) or even unhomed and struggling people in my own country?

Aside from buying food and other essentials, the answer is understandably usually no.

This is doubtless not an original thought, and oversimplistic since our own economies and businesses (which include many small and medium enterprises) rely on people buying things. However, since most people are not going to stop consuming overnight I don't think that a few Zen Buddhists buying a little less is going to crash any of our economies just yet.

As far as practice goes, the important thing for me is in the observation of just how much my mind wants things, and how it puts my (often trivial) wants above the needs of others who are unequivocally in far worse situations than me.

I am not saying that we should completely stop buying things for ourselves, but it is worth asking ourselves my initial question before we click 'Buy Now' on Amazon or swipe our card in store. If once in a while, or more often, we refrain from buying, going out for a meal,or whatever else, and send the money to an international or national crisis organisation, this would not be a bad thing at all.

However, I would also like to note that although it is clearly a good thing, and totally in line with my practice and beliefs, I still often notice a pang of sadness that I will not be getting the thing I want and instead the money is going to somewhere I will only be able to imagine its benefit. This, though, is a great reminder of just how self-centered my mind tends to be, and why we call this practice. If sitting, studying the precepts, and chanting metta doesn't change how we are in the world, what exactly are we doing here?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
  • Tai Shi
    • Oct 2014

I know exactly what you mean. I bought a camera and a lens and the they both were used the lens looks basically new the camera would have sold for $150 last year. $100 this year. The lens for $150 last year. $60 this year even three years ago I bought a mini camera newer at 228 an four years ago $400. Two years ago, a lens for $100. Before around $200! These items are not moving out of sellers but they sit on the shelf. Many are as good as new, and I buy useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Doshin
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Kokuu
      Dear all

At present, with so much going on in the world, I notice that before I buy anything, my mind asks me - do you need this more than someone, somewhere else in the world, such as Palestine, the Yemen (where an estimated 11 million children are in need of humanitarian assistance) or even unhomed and struggling people in my own country?

Aside from buying food and other essentials, the answer is understandably usually no.

This is doubtless not an original thought, and oversimplistic since our own economies and businesses (which include many small and medium enterprises) rely on people buying things. However, since most people are not going to stop consuming overnight I don't think that a few Zen Buddhists buying a little less is going to crash any of our economies just yet.

As far as practice goes, the important thing for me is in the observation of just how much my mind wants things, and how it puts my (often trivial) wants above the needs of others who are unequivocally in far worse situations than me.

I am not saying that we should completely stop buying things for ourselves, but it is worth asking ourselves my initial question before we click 'Buy Now' on Amazon or swipe our card in store. If once in a while, or more often, we refrain from buying, going out for a meal,or whatever else, and send the money to an international or national crisis organisation, this would not be a bad thing at all.

However, I would also like to note that although it is clearly a good thing, and totally in line with my practice and beliefs, I still often notice a pang of sadness that I will not be getting the thing I want and instead the money is going to somewhere I will only be able to imagine its benefit. This, though, is a great reminder of just how self-centered my mind tends to be, and why we call this practice. If sitting, studying the precepts, and chanting metta doesn't change how we are in the world, what exactly are we doing here?

Gassho
      Kokuu
      -sattoday/lah-

Doshin
      Stlah

Comment

• Tai Shi
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Tai Shi
        I know exactly what you mean. I bought a camera and a lens and the they both were used the lens looks basically new the camera would have sold for $150 last year. $100 this year. The lens for $150 last year. $60 this year even three years ago I bought a mini camera newer at 228 an four years ago $400. Two years ago, a lens for $100. Before around $200! These items are not moving out of sellers but they sit on the shelf. Many are as good as new, and I buy useful.

I’m giving more to the poor than I used and I raised my contribution to Treeleaf and Marge in giving to a project called Feeding South Dakota and theii gives to two environmental causes fan occasionally to half a dozen more, I’m contribution poor. Under Trump the tax credit for charitable contributions was discounted and I see lots of people on the street begging for work or food whose have no home and Marjorie walks up to poor and gives them $20 we are giving money away to the maximum

Comment

• Hoseki
          • Jun 2015

Thank you for this reminder Kokuu. I typically don't make a lot of purchases of stuff but I do spend a lot of money on food I don't need. It would likely benefit me as well if instead expediting an eventual cardiac event I gave that money to someone who really knows what hunger is.

Gassho,

Hoseki
          sattoday/lah

Comment

• Kokuu
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Nov 2012

I’m giving more to the poor than I used and I raised my contribution to Treeleaf and Marge in giving to a project called Feeding South Dakota and theii gives to two environmental causes fan occasionally to half a dozen more, I’m contribution poor. Under Trump the tax credit for charitable contributions was discounted and I see lots of people on the street begging for work or food whose have no home and Marjorie walks up to poor and gives them $20 we are giving money away to the maximum
            Thank you for your assistance in all ways, Tai Shi, and Marjorie too

I typically don't make a lot of purchases of stuff but I do spend a lot of money on food I don't need. It would likely benefit me as well if instead expediting an eventual cardiac event I gave that money to someone who really knows what hunger is.

Comment

• Kaitan
              • Mar 2023

Thanks Kokuu,

I may not be rich, but I have a lot of privileges. I can always do better.

Gasshō
              stlah
              Bernal
              Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
              Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Washin
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Dec 2014

Washin
                sat\lah
                Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                ----
                I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Naiko
                  • Aug 2019

Thank you, Kokuu.

stlah

Comment

• Houzan
                    • Dec 2022

Thank you, I needed this[emoji120]
                    The litmus test of practice I guess: what have I let go of recently? What have I done to reduce the suffering of someone or something recently?

Gassho, Michael
                    Satlah

Comment

• Tai Shi
                      • Oct 2014

I go to the 6:5 session with Shokai and I lead the:800 am group. I sometimes go to the 8:00 am group. I find I am more dedicated with the group than otherwise.
                      Gassho
                      Tai Shi

Comment

• Seiko
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2020

Gasshō
                        Seiko
                        stlah it
                        Gandō Seiko
                        頑道清光
                        (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

• Tairin
                          • Feb 2016

Thank you Kokuu. I try to be conscientious of my conspicuous consumption. Do I really need this item? Why do I want it? Is it the novelty of something new or does it have a legitimate purpose to me? What would be a better use of my money? Etc. As you say it does sometimes lead to a sort of sadness, like perhaps I am missing out.

Tairin
                          Sat today and lah
                          泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Nengei
                            • Dec 2016

I love this, thank you, Kokuu. For me, a part of this is asking what need in myself am I trying to fill with this and in buying this, how will I feel about it in a week, a month, a year? What purpose does it serve that what I currently own does not?

Gassho,
                            Nengei
                            Sat today. LAH.
                            遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Comment

• Tai Shi
                              • Oct 2014

Charity and Desire

I could get into my zoom account this morning and I was scheduled to be there to Host the zoom call for sitting. I am sorry because I have not had the chance yet to reset my zoom account.
                              Gassho
                              Sat/lah

Comment

Working...