Let's Welcome the 'Hijackers' and be Gracious and Grateful!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Let's Welcome the 'Hijackers' and be Gracious and Grateful!

Dear All,

Recently, some of our ZOOM sittings have been invaded by a few silly folks wishing to cause some trouble, to disturb our sittings, have some fun for themselves while pestering others.

Let us greet them graciously, welcome them, and be grateful to them.

By that, I mean that they teach a core lesson of Shikantaza 'Just Sitting,' namely, that we sit as 'what is,' whatever is happening. It is a central lesson of our Zen way that conditions are just conditions. Events are not a "problem" or a "disturbance" unless we judge them a "problem," and feel "disturbed" between our own ears. If you do not feel "disturbed," there is no "disturbance" by definition, only "conditions." Now, these 'hijackers' are just a small problem, but when we encounter bigger 'problems' in life, it is just the same. All events and situations are just what they are, and it takes our subjective inner resistance to create friction. It is much the same when it rains on your picnic, but also when you get that medical diagnosis you feared, your beloved mother-in-law breaks her hip (sadly, that happened to my wife's mother, Yukiko, today), when your candidate loses, when the car breaks down and you have no cash for repairs, as the earth warms, when you lose your job, when your country is invaded (thank you, Washin), when the earthquakes quake and the hurricanes storm, when the whole earth comes to an end. In fact, if you are ever kidnapped or find yourself on a true 'hijacked' plane (not impossible in this sometimes violent world), just sit right there. Even a "terrorist" attack loses much of its impact when people refuse to be "terrified."

It all is what it is.

We sit in radical allowance of conditions, flowing with the flow (even if that flow is fetid), not resisting, letting life be life. It is an important lesson for us human beings who so easily resist, regret, fear, flight or fight, never are satisfied with how things are. The little Zoom 'hijackers' are master teachers of this attitude.

Of course, don't get me wrong ...

While thoroughly accepting and allowing out of one eye, there are things we cannot and should not accept out of the other eye. Both eyes open together, at once, bring the illumination and clarity that is at the heart of Zen Wisdom. I call it "resistance without resistance," "action-non-action," "acceptance-non-acceptance" and the like.

Thus, our top drawer internet security folks at Treeleaf (Sekishi, Kotei, Koushi and others) are working on some technical steps to close the gates and keep the hijackers out. You will hear more about that soon. Have no fear, they will keep the barbarians behind the Great Wall! (I am sure some old Chinese Zen Master in the Tang must have spoken similar words when actual barbarians invaded the land and attacked the temple! Fortunately, ours do not come on horseback! )

Likewise, take the medicine that the doctor prescribes for your cancer or bad heart and try to get well. Also, get an umbrella for the rain, worry about your dear mother-in-law, vote in the next election, try to get the money together to fix the car (or take the bus in the meantime), do all you can to protect the earth's environment, find another job, go to a shelter and board the windows against the storm, resist your country's invaders, save the earth. If you ever do get taken prisoner or hijacked on a plane (I hope not), do your best to survive, to get free ... but also sit "right there" in your cell and chains. Likewise for our little Zoom "invaders." It is not an "either/or" proposition, and we can strive to keep them out even as we welcome them ... a Zen "welcome-non-welcome" for sure.

So, next time you see the "hijackers," invite them to sit some Zazen and to experience the peace that we Zen folks know.

Thank you, hijackers! You are Buddhas and Great Teachers!

Gassho, Jundo
    stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-05-2024, 04:10 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Shinshi
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jul 2010

Gassho,

Shinshi

Sat-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
    -Dogen
    E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Antonio
      • Mar 2024

Once, I’ve heard from one Theravada teacher that we should be grateful for deal with people that act in a “mean” way. The “problems” that they bring to us work in a way to add some spice to our life. If everybody would be nice, the life would be boring . This people bring to us good stories to tell.

Gassho!
      SatLah

PS. Fast recovery to your mother-in-law
      Last edited by Antonio; 08-04-2024, 06:09 PM.
      Antonio

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.” - Linji Yixuan​​

Comment

• MalleableGirlParts
        • Jul 2024

Thank you! This is a wonderful way to look at incidents like this.

And I'm sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. A broken hip is a terrible and painful thing to go through.

Gassho

Jenn
        Sat Lah
        Gasshō Jenn
        Sat Lah

Comment

• Onkai
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2015

Gassho, Onkai
          Sat lah
          美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
          恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

Tairin
            Sat today and lah
            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• ZenJay
              • Apr 2024

Thank you Jundo. It was definitely an interesting experience at the Zazenkai! Thank you also to the “Hijackers” for the lesson in letting go. I found that it brought up old feelings of embarrassment. While it was unexpected, it was a good lesson. Metta to them and their families.

Gassho,
              Jay

Sat/Lah today

Comment

• Kaisho
                • Nov 2016

Had some visitors of that variety at practice tonight as well. Deepest bows and Metta to you Hijackers.

Gassho
                Kaisho
                Stlah

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

And thank you to our team of Tech Guardians and Event Hosts who, it seems, have taken defensive measures to keep out the invaders. I have video of the final battle ...
                  . .
                  Gassho, J
                  stlah
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kaitan
                    • Mar 2023

I thought the final battle went somehow like this

KUNG FU HUSTLE is NOW PLAYING and can be found to Rent or Buy here: http://DP.SonyPictures.com/KungFuHustleA petty thief aspires to become a member of the no...

stlah, Kaitan
                    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
                    Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

Working...