X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

The "Inner Switch" of Zazen

An audio version of this essay is also available either HERE or as an episode of our Treeleaf Zendo Podcast HERE

Maybe thirty years ago, on the third or fourth day of a week long Rohatsu Sesshin at Sojiji, the traditional winter Retreat at Soto-shu's head temple, I was feeling bored, homesick, a bit irritated and my back hurt. I was cold and lonely, tired and distracted, while time was dragging like molasses. Woken up at 4am in the dark and cold, followed by hours staring at a wall, shivering and knees complaining, days still to survive, missing my family and the cat, longing for my warm bed at home ... It would not take Freud to figure out the causes. I was pretty miserable.

"So," I thought, "I wonder what might happen if I just try to be the opposite?"

Let me take on the actor's role of being something and somebody else.

Suddenly, I found that I had a kind of inner switch, one with which I could "pretend" that I was totally at home, content, feeling like there is no other place to be, lovin' it. I simply remembered what all of that good stuff feels like from other times in my life, stored as body memory somewhere deep down, summoned up those sensations and then was actually feeling them. I very much just played the part of being thoroughly fulfilled in the moment, comfortable, centered, peaceful and at rest, energized and right at home ...

... AND SUDDENLY I WAS!

No longer pretending, now the reality of the moment!

I had entered into the imagined role of "satisfied sitter" like a Shakespearean thespian entering into the heart of Hamlet, actually embodying Hamlet. I recalled what equanimity, fearlessness and joy feel like, from somewhere in my recesses, and I was flooded with each of those too, as true as true can be.

Then I played with flipping the switch back and forth a bunch of times ... bored ... content ... restless ... comfortable ... distracted ... centered ... sad ... joyous ... resistant ... equanimous ... homesick ... right at home. I even dabbled with bliss and ecstasy, followed by misery and terror. I could go instantly from being one way to the other and back again, like flipping a switch. And in discovering that I had this inner switch, I found that the whole experience was greatly up to me. Suddenly, I was cruising that Sesshin! ... smooth sailing ... 'in the zone.' Oh, it was still cold, and my back still hurt, but even those things were somehow okay.

The lesson here is that sitting Sesshin is like an empty container, some bland ingredient like Tofu, that can be decorated or flavored as our heart decides. The experience is bad if you make it bad ... it is whole, complete, fulfilling and welcoming if our heart makes it so. Such is the power of the mind. In an instant, that Sesshin was the only place in the whole world, the entire universe, where I would want to be, and there was nothing else to wish for. In fact, so much of all life is like a neutral canvas to which we add our judgments and reactions, coloring it by our feelings. I could have died right there without complaint. It was like finding a button to turn hell into heaven and back again.

Now, as a Zen fellow, I made some choices about which buttons to push, and how to adjust the settings: I choose equanimity and contentment over feelings of bliss and ecstasy, knowing that those latter states are not someplace I could or would wish to live for long. I choose acceptance of the situation, and the body's pain, rather than trying to change those, knowing that they could not be escaped short of leaving, either the temple or the ordinary world. Deep deep concentrated meditators can go to such realms where physical pain vanishes, but I would find that no more appealing than diving into morphine and life's dead-end. I will save that for my final cancer bed. Much better is to be content and at home in life's little discomforts and pains, letting them be, paying them no nevermind even though not fun.

There was a "fake it till ya make it" attitude toward some of it, but I really made it. The human mind has such amazing powers when we let it find its wisdom, one reason perhaps that our ancestors were seemingly as happy and content in their short and trying lives as modern folks, and perhaps more so, despite relative physical hardships (dentists but no novocaine!) and material lack that most of us can barely imagine. One aspect of a traditional Zen Sesshin is that we return for a time to living rather like people of the 13th century. That is probably harder for 21st century us to do, given all the media and modern machines, comforts and conveniences that we must leave behind today to enter the monastery gates. 13th century monks did not miss their smart phones and air conditioned homes, not a bit, because nobody had them, or even a dream of them. Studies have shown that we feel more pain today because we expect and demand to be free of pain that much more, and are less tolerant of discomforts than the people of old.

And here's the kicker, a nice little twist:

We Soto Zen folks sit Zazen, like Master Dogen taught, with the hope and expectation that eventually "bodymind will drop off." Then everything will be good, and all this sitting will have its pay-off. Meditators of all kinds engage in practice in search of an inner transformation, in which their "little self" with its demands and frustrations, desires and discontents will finally be tamed, and they will know peace and happiness instead. We expect the dropping away and transformation to come first, an effect of sitting, with the good feelings and liberation to follow. It's something like thinking that we must first head to the gym, do the exercise, grow our muscles, and then health and strength will follow.

But in Zazen, the opposite can also be true.

Namely, by sitting with a heart emulating the peace, contentment and rest of a Buddha, we actually come to embody Buddha. Because we feel contentment, equanimity, a lack of demands and desires, the "little self" is put out of a job, is tamed and tempered. It truly rests in its struggles, pauses in its running and seeking. Suddenly, as the frictions and demands on the world evaporate, the hard borders of "self" and "the rest of the world" soften and evaporate too. Dropped off is bodymind. It is almost as if, by summoning the feeling within that we already have health and strength, the big muscles begin to grow, then push-ups and bench presses follow, after which we head to the gym.

It is for this very reason that there is a vital ingredient to Shikantaza "Just Sitting" Zazen, an aspect that, unfortunately, gets left out of so many descriptions and instructions for Zazen which merely emphasize the "sit in a balanced way, breathe naturally, let thoughts go" parts (although those are all vital too.) Also vital is that we sit in radical equanimity, summoning the feeling and conviction deep in the bones that Zazen is a whole and complete doing, a sacred doing. In fact, we sit with the sense that this is a doing of "non-doing" in which Zazen is so complete that there is nothing left undone, nothing more that can be done, nothing more that need be done, but sitting in the time of sitting. As counter-intuitive as it may sound, by calling up the feeling within our hearts that Zazen and all life are truly goalless and complete, all is rendered goalless and complete. Q.E.D.

Just Sitting, we must believe, is the doing of the Buddha and Ancestors, complete and whole even before it began. If we leave this confidence out (and, unfortunately, many popular Zazen or so-called "Shikantaza" instructions do) we are leaving the fuel out of the rocket. One must sit with the conviction, deep in the bones, that there is not one drop lacking, no other place to be during the time of sitting, no hole in need of filling, just by sitting. In doing so while sitting for a time, even time and measure drop away, all demands drop away, and one truly tastes the rest, satisfaction, wholeness and contentment of a Buddha sitting. The actor playing Buddha becomes Buddha, and realizes that they and all things, people and moments always have so been. Then, getting up from the cushion and back to the complex world, it is time to seek to live accordingly.

So, I recommend that you find this same inner switch within you, if not during a long Sesshin, then even during your next Zazen sitting. Play with it, see if you can get it to work too. Toggle back and forth. Getting off the cushion, it is an inner switch which I have made use of at every subsequent retreat, not to mention the many other not so fun times of life ... in the cancer hospital with fear, when life went wrong and dreams evaporated, when there was loss. I emphasize again that the trick is not to pretend that the scary or sad times are just blissful, fun or happy. That's a short term solution at best, a fool's comedy, a running from life at worst. It is not a switch that cures all that ails this world, even as we know the world quite differently. But we can find the acceptance, allowing, flowing, non-resisting peace of a Buddha within.

For it is within you all along.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Bion; 05-14-2024, 09:52 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Nengei
    • Dec 2016

Lovely. Thank you for your teaching, Jundo Roshi.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Comment

• Bion
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Aug 2020

So good! Thank you, Jundo!!

[emoji1374] Sat Today lah
      "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Tairin
        • Feb 2016

Thank you Jundo

Tairin
        Sat today and lah
        泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Kotei
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Mar 2015

Thank you Jundo.
          Gassho,
          Kotei sat/lah today.
          義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

Thank you Jundo. These words are very good to hear in this moment.

Gassho,
            Daiman
            St/LAH

Comment

• Shujin
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Feb 2010

This is brilliant, especially for someone such as myself who struggles to break out of certain thought patterns during zazen. It's become easier with time, but there's still work to be done.

Gassho,
              Shujin

-sat today-

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
              Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁

Comment

• j.champagne
                • May 2023

Thank you for these thoughts.

Forgive my ignorance, but in "pretending" in this way, that is, emulating that things are otherwise than they are (i.e., that you're not cold, bored, tired, sore, etc.), shouldn't we proceed with caution that this does not, in fact, become an exercise in clinging, aversion, or delusion of the small self (i.e., to avoid that we are actually feeling cold, bored, tired, sore, etc.)?

My question is sincere, so I hope it is received as such. Thank you for you insight.

Gassho,

Jason

Sat today.
                Last edited by j.champagne; 05-25-2023, 02:20 PM. Reason: Added a question upon reflecting on Jundo's words.

Comment

Originally posted by j.champagne

Forgive my ignorance, but in "pretending" in this way, that is, emulating that things are otherwise than they are (i.e., that you're not cold, bored, tired, sore, etc.), shouldn't we proceed with caution that this does not, in fact, become an exercise in clinging, aversion, or delusion of the small self (i.e., to avoid that we are actually feeling cold, bored, tired, sore, etc.)?

My question is sincere, so I hope it is received as such. Thank you for you insight.

Gassho,

Jason

Sat today.
                  Hi Jason, perhaps another way of approaching this is shifting the view or the vantage point or the way we are seeing something in the moment. We are shifting our vantage point to that of how we are pushing something away that is present in the moment and seeing the other side of that. The "pretending" could be a way of putting on the clothing of the other vantage point and living that out for a while and see from that perspective. It is a way to practice jikuyu zanmai, which is actualizing things as they are right in the heart of zazen practice. But, in some sense we need faith in that process and so we can put faith in the Buddha that is present right here in zazen even if we seem to be stuck in a limited view. I see what Jundo is saying here (and he can correct me if this is wrong) is a way of practicing tariki or "other -power", putting some faith in shifting the perspective or even expanding the field of awareness to include all sides of what is happening and seeing what it is like from the other perspective so that the full perspective gets realized in that moment. (sometimes our limited self-view seems like the whole picture when it is not). And so it takes self-power (jiriki) - taking the posture and the intention to just sit and other-power (tariki) that makes this act of zazen more than a self-centered activity. Everything is completely actualized in zazen and when we can not see all of it, sometimes shifting the perspective even if it means wearing different thoughts and emotions for the moment can allow us to see the whole picture not just one side.

Gassho,

Daiman
                  St/LAH
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2023, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Erinis
                    • Mar 2023

This is sometimes very tricky to switch the button, I do recently finding myself in situations with shift perception and going with the flow not resisting when bad things come, but also sometimes fall into trap when I suffer through anger when lack of awareness takes over the situation, I feel powerless when happens my emotions takes over, because it make me a bad person, because I am creating evil and chaos in the world through it.
                    (yes, I know that Buddhism goes beyond these, but my ego don't want it, tries to be balanced all the time).

Thank you for the teaching Jundo and Daiman for elaborating it.

Gassho,

Erinis
                    Sat today

Comment

Actually, all sides are present all of the time, we just do not see it all of the time and so sitting as Jundo suggests is kind of like sitting from the perspective of the Buddha (even though we are already the Buddha sitting there) and so we try that on for a moment and see what we see in that moment. It happens viscerally also when we force a smile on our face even in the midst of being sad. We are kind of "faking it" but the face muscles and nerves then send that facial posture to the brain and something shifts within that feedback loop, releasing endorphins and also activating part of the parasympathetic nervous system. We may still be sad, but the sadness has some shift to it now, and so it is no longer "fake". Bio feedback works somewhat in this way also, we are teaching the body and mind to respond differently to things. Mirror neurons do the same thing sometimes. If you are in the presence of another human being and they give you a look of kindness and compassion, just that look alone can have you feeling more at ease and connected even though you may be in a difficult situation. Mirror neurons begin to mimic what they see as it were and bringing a shift.

Gassho,
                      Daiman
                      St/LAH
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2023, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Seiko
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2020

I think the important element is faith. More important than how we get there. To have faith that everything is whole and complete and nothing is lacking.

Gasshō
                        Seiko
                        stlah
                        Gandō Seiko
                        頑道清光
                        (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Seiko
                          I think the important element is faith. More important than how we get there. To have faith that everything is whole and complete and nothing is lacking.

Gasshō
                          Seiko
                          stlah
                          Yes. Very much so.
                          Gassho
                          Daiman
                          St/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jundo
                            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by j.champagne

Gassho,

Jason

Sat today.
                            Hi Jason,

What I describe is a little different.

I did not pretend that I was not cold, tired and sore. And I did not cling to the new attitudes of mind. I did not turn it into bliss and pleasure and fun in la la land. That would be "putting lipstick on a pig," as we say in English (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipsti...blical%20times.). Rather, I found within radical acceptance, equanimity, feeling at home with "just what is." I found allowance and flowing along with the fact that I was still cold, tired, sore and kinda bored and even missing the cat. Then suddenly, while still what it was, it was also somehow suddenly lovely too and all okay to be cold, tired and the rest.

In doing so, the "pretending" suddenly was as real as real can be, because (it is a basic teaching of Zen and Mahayana Buddhism) the world and our experience of it is much more mind created, interpreted and flavored by our thoughts and emotions than we usually realize. The new interpretation became my new reality in that moment, my world. Suddenly, I would not be anywhere else, could die right on the spot, sit for 10,000 years (although, hmmm, my knees would still ask me to forget that part. )

Nor do I cling to these states. It does not make sense to cling to equanimity, or to resist the loss of non-resistance. Don't clutch at non-clutching! All are held gently. In fact, I like to say that, through Zen practices, one learns an equanimity so equanimous that there is no need to feel equanimity all the time (we are equanimous about often not feeling equanimous), a peace so peaceful that we are peaceful even about times when we do not feel so peaceful ... something like knowing that the blue sky and sun are always present both on the clear days when seen, but even on the cloudy or stormy days when they might be sometimes hidden from the eye.

Hi Daiman,

I was with you until this maybe ...

Originally posted by Daiman
                            I see what Jundo is saying here (and he can correct me if this is wrong) is a way of practicing tariki or "other -power", putting some faith in shifting the perspective or even expanding the field of awareness to include all sides of what is happening and seeing what it is like from the other perspective so that the full perspective gets realized in that moment. (sometimes our limited self-view seems like the whole picture when it is not). And so it takes self-power (jiriki) - taking the posture and the intention to just sit and other-power (tariki) that makes this act of zazen more than a self-centered activity.
                            Perhaps. I'm a bit simpler maybe. I just note that our encounter with the world is greatly determined between the ears, so what happens inside defines outside, and outside helps make inside, and inside/outside are not two. So, change the inside and much (not all) of the outside changes greatly. The temple buildings and sesshin and aching knees did not change, but my universe holding the temple and sesshin and aching knees changed radically.

Originally posted by Seiko

Gasshō
                            Seiko
                            stlah
                            I might say "trust" because folks carry some baggage often about the "faith" word. But the funny thing about this experience is that it is self-defining and self-fulfilling: When we judge something to be incomplete and lacking to our hearts, it is. When we judge something to be whole and complete with nothing lacking to our hearts, it is.

That does not mean that our inner thoughts will, for example, clean the dirty oceans just by our thinking so, heal our cancer just by our thinking so, fix our leaky roof just by our thinking so. It will not. Those situations remain. This is more of a fundamental, underlying, existential sense of "all is whole, complete and nothing lacking" ... even as we then should proceed to clean up the oceans, take our chemo-therapy, fix our leaky roof.

Gassho, J

stlah
                            Last edited by Jundo; 05-26-2023, 12:38 AM.
                            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

The "Inner Switch" of Zazen

Thanks Jundo Sometimes I can be concise and simple, other times I overcomplicate the obvious. It is a good lesson to cut to the chase.
                              Gassho
                              Daiman
                              St

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2023, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...