• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

The Zen Wisdom of STONE ROSHI, a Guest Teacher at Treeleaf Sangha

Dear All,

We invited Stone Roshi for a visit, to offer 'rock solid' wisdom which humans have forgotten ...

I ask the HARD questions of this Ancient Master ... who was around and teaching a million years before Buddha ...

Thank you for these Teachings, Stone Roshi. You are invited to visit us any time.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-16-2023, 04:55 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Do Mi
    • Apr 2023

I love this passionately!!!! Going to sit now.

In gassho,

Do Mi
    satlah

Comment

• j.champagne
      • May 2023

Thank you for sharing, Jundo!

Gassho,

Jason

Sit today. Refrain from harm. Lend a hand. Live gently.

Comment

• L_Moore
        • Mar 2023

From another admirer of Stone Roshi

This quote is from pp. 93-94 of Everyday Suchness by Gyomay Kubose, a Japanese minister who (with others) was abruptly order to a U.S./Wyoming internment camp during WWII:

On my desk I have a little round stone which I picked up along the creek near the Heart Mountain Relocation Center, Wyoming, where I spent the early years of the recent war. It is a common stone with no value as a jewel; it could be found just anywhere. Yet, to me this common and insignificant stone is a source of great inspiration, a great teacher and a companion as well as a memory of camp life.

In this round stone, I feel a peaceful, harmonious and perfect character--a character acquired through many years of hardships. As I feel its smoothness and roundness, I know that it was not so in the beginning. It must have had many sharp corners when it was cracked off from the mother stone and began its long journey down the rivers and creeks enduring the heat, the rainstorms and the freezing Wyoming winter. For how long, it is hard to tell, perhaps for thousands of years; and as it was rolled and tossed with the other rocks and stones, it was polished and the sharp corners disappeared. And today as I admire its round and smooth beauty, I know that it took many thousands of years, not just one day, to become round and smooth. Beneath its simple beauty, I perceive a wonderful character.

As I go my way down the creek of life, this stone teaches me patience and endurance. It teaches me to make the best of situations as they come, to accept and ride my waves of karma, for many things that occur are beyond the limit of my power.

In this way, I find peace and contentment from the sufferings of life. As I see many sharp corners and roughness in me, I feel that I am much smaller and inferior to the stone. This little stone on my desk is, indeed, a great teacher to me.
        ----------------------
        As Dogen's favorite Tenzo said -- nothing is hidden. With gratitude for all the Stone Roshi/Kudzu and other teachings that are right in front of us and the teachers who try to open our eyes. May all beings enjoy happiness and the causes of happiness ... small sit /small lent a hand ... Plain Jane

Comment

• Shinshi
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by L_Moore
          This quote is from pp. 93-94 of Everyday Suchness by Gyomay Kubose, a Japanese minister who (with others) was abruptly order to a U.S./Wyoming internment camp during WWII:

On my desk I have a little round stone which I picked up along the creek near the Heart Mountain Relocation Center, Wyoming, where I spent the early years of the recent war. It is a common stone with no value as a jewel; it could be found just anywhere. Yet, to me this common and insignificant stone is a source of great inspiration, a great teacher and a companion as well as a memory of camp life.

In this round stone, I feel a peaceful, harmonious and perfect character--a character acquired through many years of hardships. As I feel its smoothness and roundness, I know that it was not so in the beginning. It must have had many sharp corners when it was cracked off from the mother stone and began its long journey down the rivers and creeks enduring the heat, the rainstorms and the freezing Wyoming winter. For how long, it is hard to tell, perhaps for thousands of years; and as it was rolled and tossed with the other rocks and stones, it was polished and the sharp corners disappeared. And today as I admire its round and smooth beauty, I know that it took many thousands of years, not just one day, to become round and smooth. Beneath its simple beauty, I perceive a wonderful character.

As I go my way down the creek of life, this stone teaches me patience and endurance. It teaches me to make the best of situations as they come, to accept and ride my waves of karma, for many things that occur are beyond the limit of my power.

In this way, I find peace and contentment from the sufferings of life. As I see many sharp corners and roughness in me, I feel that I am much smaller and inferior to the stone. This little stone on my desk is, indeed, a great teacher to me.
          ----------------------
          As Dogen's favorite Tenzo said -- nothing is hidden. With gratitude for all the Stone Roshi/Kudzu and other teachings that are right in front of us and the teachers who try to open our eyes. May all beings enjoy happiness and the causes of happiness ... small sit /small lent a hand ... Plain Jane

Thank you for sharing that, I like it quite a bit.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
          空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
          There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
          -Dogen
          E84I - JAJ

Comment

Working...