May 31st - June 1st 2024 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Zazen-Yojinki IV

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

May 31st - June 1st 2024 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Zazen-Yojinki IV

NOTE: OUR MONTHLY 4-HOUR ZAZENKAI is THIS WEEK!

We continue our series on

Master Keizan's 'Zazen-Yōjinki'

坐禅用心記

'Notes to Keep in Heart for Zazen'
    (text below)

Dear All,

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai LIVE with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more. We meet virtually in our Zoom Scheduled Sitting Room here:
    JOIN ZOOM >>
    The password (if needed): << dogen >>

For local times, please check the Practice Calendar here: TREELEAF NOW >>​ (8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning, New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm, Friday night, London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am on early Saturday morning) and also sittable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off.​
    Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...408#post339408

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:
    Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:
    SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Bion; 06-02-2024, 01:02 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Jundo
    • Apr 2006

This is Part IV of our series on Keizan Jokin Zenji's 13th Century ...
    ... 'Zazen-Yōjinki'

(坐禅用心記; 'Notes to Keep in Heart for Zazen')
    This week, Master Keizan tells us what Zazen is, and is not ...

( ... and also to have clean feet. )

m-kannondou-l-1024x338.jpg

ABOVE: Actual Calligraphy by Master Keizan (The History of Kannon Hall, Written 1321)

~ ~ ~

You should spread a mat thick enough for comfortable sitting. The place for practice should be clean. Burn incense and offer flowers to the Dharma Protectors, the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas and your practice will be protected. Put a statue of a Buddha, Bodhisattva or arhat on the altar and demons of distraction will not overwhelm you.

Remain always compassionate, and dedicate the limitless virtue of zazen to all living beings. Do not be arrogant; do not be proud of yourself and of your understanding of dharma. Being arrogant is the way of the heretical and of ignorant people.

Vow to cut off all delusions and realize enlightenment. Just sit without doing anything. [一切為さず /Just do zazen and nothing else] This is the essence of the practice of zazen. Always wash your eyes and feet, keep your body and mind at ease and tranquil, and maintain a proper demeanor. Throw away worldly sentiments, yet do not attach yourself to a sublime feeling of the way [don't cling to feelings of the way].

Though you should not begrudge anyone the dharma, do not preach it unless you are asked. Even if someone asks, keep silent three times; if the person still asks you from his or her heart, then teach him or her. Out of ten times you may desire to speak, remain silent for nine; as if mold were growing around your mouth. Be like a folded fan in December, or like a wind-bell hanging in the air, indifferent to the direction of the wind. This is how a person of the Way should be. Do not use the dharma to profit at the expense of others. Do not use the way as a means to make yourself important. These are the most important points to keep in mind.

Zazen is not based upon teaching, practice or realization (教行証); instead these three aspects are all contained within it. Measuring realization is based upon some notion of waiting for enlightenment – this is not the essence of zazen. Practice is based upon strenuous application – this is not the essence of zazen. Teaching is based upon freeing from evil and cultivating good – this is not the essence of zazen.

Teaching is found in Zen but it is not the usual teaching. Rather, it is a direct pointing, just expressing the way, speaking with the whole body. Such words are without sentences or clauses. Where views end and concept is exhausted, the one word pervades the ten directions without setting up so much as a single hair. This is the true teaching of the buddhas and patriarchs.

Although we speak of “practice”, it is not a practice that you can do. That is to say, the body does nothing, the mouth does not recite, the mind doesn’t think things over, the six senses are left to their own clarity and unaffected. So this is not the sixteen stage practice of the [early Buddhist disciples/Sravaka]. Nor is it the practice of understanding the twelve factors of inter-dependent origination of those whose practice is founded upon isolation [Pratyekabuddha]. Nor is it the six perfections within numberless activities of the bodhisattvas. It is without struggle at all so is called awakening or enlightenment. Just rest in the samadhi in which all of the buddhas receive and use themselves as buddhas [jijuyu-zanmai/the Self-enjoyment Samadhi of all the Buddhas], wandering playfully in the four practices of peace and bliss of the Bodhisattvas [i.e., blissful and peaceful activities of body, mouth, and mind, and of carrying out vows​]. This is the profound and inconceivable practice of buddhas and ancestors.

Although we speak of realization, this realization does not hold to itself as being “realization” [Although realization is realized, it is the realization of non-realization]. This is practice of the supreme samadhi which is the knowing of unborn, unobstructed, and spontaneously arising awareness. It is the door of luminosity which opens out onto the realization of the Buddha, born through the practice of the great ease. This goes beyond the patterns of holy and profane, goes beyond confusion and wisdom. This is the realization of unsurpassed enlightenment as our own nature [one's original face/ innate great enlightment].

Zazen is also not based upon discipline, practice, or wisdom. These three are all contained within it. [TO BE CONTINUED NEXT TIME]

~~~

坐禅用心記

坐褥、須らく厚く敷くべし、打坐は安楽なり。道場、須らく浄潔なるべし、而かも常に焼香・献華す、則ち護法 善神、及び仏菩薩、影向守護するなり。若し仏菩薩、及び羅漢像を安置すれば、一切の悪魔鬼魅、其の便を得ざ るなり。

常に大慈大悲に住して、坐禅無量の功徳を、一切衆生に回向せよ。憍慢・我慢・法慢を生ずること莫れ。此は是 、外道・凡夫の法なり。誓って煩悩を断じ、誓って菩提を証せんことを念じ、祇管に打坐して一切為さず、是、 参禅の要術なり。

常に目を濯い足を洗って、身心閑静にして、威儀整斉なるべし。応に世情を捨て、道情に執すること莫れ。法は 慳むべからずと雖も、然も請わざれば説くこと莫れ。三請を守って四実に従い、十たび言わんと欲して九たび休 し去り、口辺醭生じ、臘月の扇の如く、風鈴の虚空に懸りて四方の風を問わざるが如くなるは、是、道人の風標 なり。只法を以て人に貪らざれ、道を以て己に貢らざれ、便ち是、第一の用心なり。

夫れ坐禅は、教行証に干かるに非ず、而して此の三徳を兼ねる。謂わく証は、悟を待って則と為すは、是れ坐禅 の心にあらず。行は、真履実践を以てするは、是れ坐禅の心にあらず。教は、断悪修善を以てするは、是れ坐禅 の心にあらず。禅中、縦い教を立てるも而かも居常の教に非ず。謂く直指単伝の道は、挙体全く説話、語本章句 を没し、意尽き理窮まる処、一言十方を尽くし、絲毫も未だ挙揚せず、是、豈に仏祖真正の教にあらざらんや。 或いは行を談ずと雖も、又無為の行なり。謂く身に所作無く、口に密誦無く、心に尋思無く、六根自ら清浄にし て、一切染汚せず、声聞の十六行に非ず、縁覚の十二行に非ず、菩薩の六度万行に非ず。一切為さず、故に名づ けて仏と為す。只、諸仏の自受用三昧に安住して、菩薩の四安楽行に遊戯す。是、豈に仏祖深妙の行にあらざら んや。或いは証を説くと雖も、無証にして証す。是、三昧王三昧、無生智発現三昧、一切智発現三昧、自然智発 現三昧、如来智慧開発明門、大安楽行法門の所発なり。聖凡の格式を超え、迷悟の情量を出づ。是、豈に本有大 覚の証ならざらんや。

又坐禅は、戒定慧に干かるに非ず ....

Last edited by Jundo; 05-29-2024, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

A Zenny tune by Bing Crosby Roshi and others ... the Busy Doing Nothing Song

Last edited by Jundo; 05-29-2024, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• Bion
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Aug 2020

It'll be great to see everyone for this long zazenkai!
        If I may, I'd like to offer an encouragement to anyone who might feel intimidated by the length of this event or by the sitting times: please, join us for as long as you can, join us for as much as you can do. We record everything and it will all be available later for viewing. If all you can do is hop in for one sit, do not hesitate to do that, but do not feel like you can not join the sangha! Hope to see you there

gassho
        sat and lah
        Last edited by Bion; 05-31-2024, 04:54 PM.
        "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Shinshi
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Jul 2010

I'll be there across space and time.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
          空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
          I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
          E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Ryokudo
            • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Bion
            It'll be great to see everyone for this long zazenkai!
            If I may, I'd like to offer an encouragement to anyone who might feel intimidated by the length of this event or by the sitting times: please, join us for as long as you can, join us for as much as you can do. We record everything and it will all be available later for viewing. If all you can do is hop in for one sit, do not hesitate to do that, but do not feel like you can not join the sangha! Hope to see you there

gassho
            sat and lah
            Hey all thanks for zazenkai tonight, I'm afraid I had to leave at 1am work finally caught up with me, but I shall be there with you in sleeping zazen. Tomorrow I will sit the remainder across time of course. Apologies for the early exit

Gassho,

Ryokudo

SAT/LAH

Comment

• Bion
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Aug 2020

Thank you everyone for another special one! It was a super sleepy zazenkai for me, but the dance got me all excited. Shonin, I especially loved your snout and ears during that bit. I am grateful for being able to practice with you all.

gassho
              sat and lah
              "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Kotei
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Mar 2015

Thank you everyone for sitting, chanting, dancing together
                Gassho,
                Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
                Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Comment

• Tairin
                  • Feb 2016

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Thank you to the barn swallows for keeping us company.

Tairin
                  Sat today and lah
                  泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Bion
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Tairin
                    Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Thank you to the barn swallows for keeping us company.

Tairin
                    Sat today and lah
                    Thank you for your practice

Gassho
                    sat and lah

Comment

• Hōzan
                      • Dec 2022

Sat with you all just now.
                      Thank you.

Gassho, Hōzan
                      Satlah

Comment

• Shinshi
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jul 2010

Sat with you all last week but forgot to post. Jundo, when you were talking about the swallows you referred to Swallow mind. I don't know how you resisted saying Bird Brain. Thanks you for the lovely talk.

I must say those swallows are very tolerant. Very different than the barn swallows here that can be very aggressive when they have young present.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                        空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                        I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
                        E84I - JAJ

Comment

Working...