X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Sitting & Metta for the Children

May we Sit and offer Metta for the school children killed in Pakistan, the suffering children of Syria, their families, and suffering children in war zones and places of violence everywhere.

As Pakistan mourns, the Taliban say they targeted a Peshawar army school because students aimed to follow “their fathers and brothers” to target militants.

May there be Peace in this Season of Peace. Someday, this world will be free of war and deadly violence.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Byokan
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Apr 2014

No words.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Myosha
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Jundo
      Someday, this world will be free of war and deadly violence.

Gassho, J
      Hear, hear!

Metta to all.

Gassho,
      Myosha sat today
      Last edited by Myosha; 12-18-2014, 01:54 PM.
      "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Kyonin
        Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
        • Oct 2010

May all living beings be free from suffering.

Lets light incense for them and sit in silence.

Gassho,

Kyonin
        #SatToday
        Hondō Kyōnin
        奔道 協忍

Comment

• RichardH
          • Nov 2011

Metta for those going through unspeakable suffering.
          Metta for minds burning in delusion and rage.

Gassho
          Daizan
          sat today

Comment

• Joyo

Sickening, absolutely sickening. Will sit and light incense tonight for all suffering children.

Gassho,
            Joyo
            sat today

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Jundo
              Someday, this world will be free of war and deadly violence.
              I too wish this as this experiences are very hard to see. Much metta to all who have suffered from such violence.

Gassho
              Shingen

Sat Today

Comment

• Daiyo
                • Jul 2014

How hard not letting the sight of horror induce hard words or thoughts in us...

How can one bear this kind of violence against the innocent with no desire for justice?

Honestly, I don't know if I can send metta to those hands soaked in the blood of innocent kids.

I'll try but don't know if I will be sincere wishing well for those mercyless killers.

Gassho,
                Walter

#SatToday
                Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Kyotai

Metta to all those children killed, their families, and the families of their teachers. Metta to the emergency workers who were on scene.

Metta to those who are deluded, and may they be brought to justice.

Gassho. Shawn
                  Sat today

Comment

• robert
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by walter
                    How hard not letting the sight of horror induce hard words or thoughts in us...

How can one bear this kind of violence against the innocent with no desire for justice?

Honestly, I don't know if I can send metta to those hands soaked in the blood of innocent kids.

I'll try but don't know if I will be sincere wishing well for those mercyless killers.

Gassho,
                    Walter

#SatToday

Joseph Goldstein, in one of his talks, recounts a discussion he had on metta with a group in New York City after the 9/11 attacks. Several group participants said it was difficult for them to send metta to the terrorists or anyone associated with them. And this was understandable, as is the difficulty of extending it to those behind the massacre of children in Pakistan.

FWIW, he suggested extending the wish for the attackers to be "free of enmity," and the group seemed to feel this was something they could do.

Gassho,
                    Robert #sattoday
                    Last edited by robert; 12-18-2014, 03:35 PM.
                    Robert's website

Comment

• Meishin
                      • May 2014

Sadly these days bring many atrocities. Metta for the victims and perpetrators of violence committed by "their "tribes. Metta for the victims and perpetrators of violence committed by "our" tribes. We sit with Thich Nhat Hanh's poem:

Gassho
                      John
                      sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by robert
                        Joseph Goldstein, in one of his talks, recounts a discussion he had on metta with a group in New York City after the 9/11 attacks. Several group participants said it was difficult for them to send metta to the terrorists or anyone associated with them. And this was understandable, as is the difficulty of extending it to those behind the massacre of children in Pakistan.

FWIW, he suggested extending the wish for the attackers to be "free of enmity," and the group seemed to feel this was something they could do.

Gassho,
                        Robert #sattoday
                        Yes, in Buddhism, we tend to see even the violence doers as victims of greed, anger and ignorance. We tend to avoid saying there are "bad people", and merely that there are people who act badly do to their own suffering inside.

Thus, I can wish even a killer "peace" and "contentment", with the idea that if they truly knew peace and contentment, there would be no violence.

Gassho, J

Sattoday
                        Last edited by Jundo; 12-18-2014, 04:57 PM.
                        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Troy
                          • Sep 2013

I am still in shock. Much metta to all. I agree it is hard to wish metta to the perpetrators. After the initial shock and disgust wear off, I will try again. I pray some day the circle of violence will end.

_|sat2day|_

Comment

• Risho
                            • May 2010

I can't even fathom what it's like to experience that loss. I hope one day that we can get past our differences. Some of these discrepancies are so ancient that I think everyone just has to let go of any of the anger towards the other. Also, each side has its reasons to hate the other. I just hope that they can find a common ground to find peace. I know it's easier said than done; hopefully our wish for peace and thoughts of the attackers and victims help.

Gassho,

Risho
                            -sattoday
                            Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Cumminjd
                              • May 2013

I will include Metta for this tragedy tonight during my sitting. Its really hard to see things like this. Regardless of who points fingers and who, we are all part of a single whole, and its sad so see part of us go.

Gassho,
                              James
                              Sat Today

Comment

Working...