• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

How to Brush an Ensō

Hi all

Short instructional video on how to brush an ensō that I found helpful. Other videos from the same channel deal with more aspects of Japanese calligraphy for those with an interest in shodō.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sat today
    Last edited by Kokuu; 11-29-2014, 12:29 PM.
  • lorax
    • Jun 2008

Kokuu
    Thanks so much for this great resource!

(haven't sat yet this morning) but wanted to thank youl
    Shozan

Comment

• Myosha
      • Mar 2013

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho,
      Myosha sat today
      "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Dosho
        • Jun 2008

Thanks Kokuu!

Although I would have liked to have seen some of his other "not so good" ensos. I bet they are still quite wonderful.

Gassho,
        Dosho

Sat today

Comment

• Mp

This is great Kokuu, thank you. =)

Gassho
          Shingen

#sattoday

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Just a feeling (eye of the beholder and all such), much as one might say that one pianist has "it" while another just seems to be pushing keys ... but that fellow leaves the heart rather cold. Perhaps more like "big ink circles" than the universe. Can't tell why, save to compare to this ...

Enso, round without circles ...

This is a "window" into Miyu Tamamura's work. Calligraphy is not something that is typically performed in public. By sharing the experience of creation with...

(I say that as someone who makes chicken scratchings when I write ... just a feeling. )

Gassho, J
            Last edited by Jundo; 11-29-2014, 06:52 PM.
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

This Rinzai Master, Aikidoka and Calligrapher finally gets down to Enso about 5 minutes in ... but all that comes before during those minutes -is- the Enso, not only the rather simple circle traced ...

Terayama Tanchu Sensei (1938-2007) was a Japanese master of Zen, Hitsuzendo - Zen Calligraphy - and Zen Budo. Terayama Sensei was the head of Hitsuzenkai-com...

Gassho, J

SatToday

Comment

• Byokan
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Apr 2014

Hi All,

Yes, there seems to be more depth in the Tanamura video -- lovely!

However, when I watched her video I thought, “Wow, neat, she’s a real artist, how beautiful!”

When I watched the first video I thought, “Hey, cool, maybe I will pull out my paints today and try that!”

So great value to both.

Gassho
                Lisa
                sat today
                展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by raindrop

When I watched the first video I thought, “Hey, cool, maybe I will pull out my paints today and try that!”

So great value to both.

Gassho
                  Lisa
                  sat today
                  Hi Lisa,

I am not so sure in this case ... any more than amateur me can get on the Karate mat and demonstrate good Kata form, dance like Nureyev or get in the kitchen and cook like a master chef. Sure, I can run in and make a bowl of soup, shake my bootie for fun or pretend I am Bruce Lee, all fun and fine in their way ... but I don't think we can Enso just by putting paint on a page. Mindful-mindless embodiment and experience are vital.

Gassho, J

Sattoday
                  Last edited by Jundo; 11-29-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

This is not Enso (except as all things are "Enso"), but Nishijima Roshi's way of writing. He had a lovely way. The mixing of the ink at the start ... and the affixing of the stamps at the end ... are all a vital facet of the Practice ...

Gassho, J

Comment

• Byokan
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Jundo
                      Hi Lisa,

I am not so sure in this case ... any more than amateur me can get on the Karate mat and demonstrate good Kata form, dance like Nureyev or get in the kitchen and cook like a master chef. Sure, I can run in and make a bowl of soup, shake my bootie for fun or pretend I am Bruce Lee, all fun and fine in their way ... but I don't think we can Enso just by putting paint on a page. Mindful-mindless embodiment and experience are vital.

Gassho, J

Sattoday
                      Hi Jundo,

Oh, for sure, I’m not going to make anything like an authentic Enso just playing around. I’ll be making big ink circles. I only meant that playing around is good, and if it piques an interest then one may be drawn to look into it further and start studying the real practice. We non-artists have a hard time even starting anything, because we know it won’t be any “good.” So if a video gives me “permission” to play around because it’s not so deep and serious, that’s a cool thing. I think people should allow themselves to dance badly, paint badly, cook something horrible, and even sing off tune. (I do all those things, horribly, and with great joy.)

BUT yes, we should have respect for the real practice and not confuse the two! One hates to see an art form cheapened or misrepresented.

Gassho
                      Lisa
                      sat today
                      展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                      Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

Hi Lisa,

Well, I am all for fooling around and having fun.

But not in this case. There is a time to respect traditional form, and not merely be smearing ink on paper. Otherwise, it is the difference between this fellow (who, by the way, happens to be the founder of the Karate lineage in which our Yugen studies) ...

and just fooling around.

Even in our little Sangha, where we are very much minimalist on Traditional forms such as bowing and offering incense, I encourage our priests-in-training to learn from the masters and do so with all sincerity ... not simply from people going through the motions. In some practices, I am all for people making "their own ritual" and just being sincere about it, but not here. Perhaps because this is so fundamental, like basic Karate Kata forms.

Gassho, J
                        Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Byokan
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Apr 2014

Yowza! That chi just about shattered my computer screen. Point well taken, Teacher.

Gassho
                          Lisa
                          sat today

ps. dang, I love that Star Wars kid
                          Last edited by Byokan; 11-30-2014, 01:39 AM.
                          展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Comment

• Joyo

Hi Kokuu, thank you for the video and for starting this discussion. Jundo, thank you, Miyu is so elegant and beautiful with her calligraphy.

I have two calligraphy tattoos, one of an enso, and the other a shoshin. They are a continuous reminder of my life-long dedication to this practice.

Gassho,
                            Joyo
                            sat today

Comment

• Troy
                              • Sep 2013

Thank you Kokuu. I would love to try this someday. What a great way to practice

_|sat2day|_

Comment

Working...