Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom A.
    • May 2020

“Anshin” 安心

I'm told that there is a word called "anshin" that means "calm, serene, undisturbed" in Japanese but it also means that the spiritual search is over and completed, that the question of self has been settled. I've heard you say something along the lines of "if somebody on their deathbed does not know a serene calmness, then they do not understand Shikantaza" (that is an extremely generalized interpretation of what I heard you say and write, if it's not correct let me know.)

Anyways, if you could explain this concept of "anshin" that would be greatly appreciated.

I know my posts have ran long and have been somewhat self-indulgent in the "stoic zen" thread. I apologize and am purposely trying to be silent.

Thank you and
    9 deep gasshos
    to you,

Sincerely,
    Tom
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-21-2021, 11:03 AM.
    “Do what’s hard to do when it is the right thing to do.”- Robert Sopalsky
  • Jishin
    • Oct 2012

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Comment

• Tom A.
      • May 2020

Originally posted by Jishin
      Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__
      Thank you,

Gassho,
      Sat/Lah (I actually did Lah this time! ;-))
      Tom
      Last edited by Jundo; 03-21-2021, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

[emoji106]

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by StoBird
          I'm told that there is a word called "anshin" that means "calm, serene, undisturbed" in Japanese but it also means that the spiritual search is over and completed, that the question of self has been settled. I've heard you say something along the lines of "if somebody on their deathbed does not know a serene calmness, then they do not understand Shikantaza" (that is an extremely generalized interpretation of what I heard you say and write, if it's not correct let me know.)

Anyways, if you could explain this concept of "anshin" that would be greatly appreciated.

I know my posts have ran long and have been somewhat self-indulgent in the "stoic zen" thread. I apologize and am purposely trying to be silent.

Thank you and
          9 deep gasshos
          to you,

Sincerely,
          Tom
          Hi Tom,

The two Kanji for Anshin mean 安 calm, peace, serene, at rest , and 心 which is heart/mind.

That is the usual meaning. I would say that it only means "the spiritual search is over and completed, that the question of self has been settled" in the sense that, when one realizes prajna wisdom, then one's heart knows peace and rest.

I don't think that I ever exactly said, "if somebody on their deathbed does not know a serene calmness, then they do not understand Shikantaza." I sometimes say that our Zen practice has been described as a lifelong preparation for a wise exit from this life. We do learn how to be on our death bed experiencing 安心. I also say, however, that that does not mean that we might not be on our deathbed sometimes uncomfortable, even sometimes sad or afraid. We are human, and humans are sometimes sad and afraid. But it is possible to be 安心 ABOUT being sometimes peaceful and joyous AND sometimes being sad or afraid. In other words, we are at peace with sometimes not being peaceful, we are serene about sometimes being sad, we are undisturbed even about sometimes being disturbed and afraid.

I will let you know if I am as good as my claim when my time comes.

Gassho, J
          STLah

(sorry to run long)
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tom A.
            • May 2020

Originally posted by Jishin
            [emoji106]
            You are a good person Jinshin, direct and to the point.

Gassho
            Tom
            Sat
            Lah(I actually Lah this time!

;-))

Comment

• Tom A.
              • May 2020

Originally posted by Jundo
              Hi Tom,

The two Kanji for Anshin mean 安 calm, peace, serene, at rest , and 心 which is heart/mind.

That is the usual meaning. I would say that it only means "the spiritual search is over and completed, that the question of self has been settled" in the sense that, when one realizes prajna wisdom, then one's heart knows peace and rest.

I don't think that I ever exactly said, "if somebody on their deathbed does not know a serene calmness, then they do not understand Shikantaza." I sometimes say that our Zen practice has been described as a lifelong preparation for a wise exit from this life. We do learn how to be on our death bed experiencing 安心. I also say, however, that that does not mean that we might not be on our deathbed sometimes uncomfortable, even sometimes sad or afraid. We are human, and humans are sometimes sad and afraid. But it is possible to be 安心 ABOUT being sometimes peaceful and joyous AND sometimes being sad or afraid. In other words, we are at peace with sometimes not being peaceful, we are serene about sometimes being sad, we are undisturbed even about sometimes being disturbed and afraid.

I will let you know if I am as good as my claim when my time comes.

Gassho, J
              STLah

(sorry to run long)
              Thank you Jundo!
              Gassho,
              Sat
              Lah(I actually Lah this time!)
              �� :-D

Comment

• Tai Shi
                • Oct 2014

For peace is realizing that I have tried to control others. Life for each of means freedom from suffering by realizing my suffering. Slowly I am realizing I cannot control others. I believe as the Buddha looked up to the morning star, he realized his own freedom. Then he reached down to touch the earth.
                Gassho
                sat / lah
                Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

Working...