• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

"enlightenment" and "Enlightenment"

Hi,

Just so folks don't miss it, we are having a little discussion on what is "awakening/enlightenment" in our "Beyond Words and Letters" book club. I would like to direct folks to a couple I just posted ...

Good Morning! Time to Wake Up! I think we will stay with this chapter for a couple of weeks, just to give some folks a chance to reflect or catch up a bit. The topic is "awakening," and some interesting insights from Norman Roshi. I sometimes use my "whole bus trip" analogy, which I feel is much as

and

Good Morning! Time to Wake Up! I think we will stay with this chapter for a couple of weeks, just to give some folks a chance to reflect or catch up a bit. The topic is "awakening," and some interesting insights from Norman Roshi. I sometimes use my "whole bus trip" analogy, which I feel is much as

Especially this ...

That is why Suzuki Shunryu said "we are all perfect as we are, yet we need work." It is why Dogen spoke of our already being enlightened Buddhas, yet we are not and need to take care to live gently, more like Buddhas, in each daily choice ... his vision of constant "practice-enlightenment." In fact, I would go so far as to call the above small e "enlightenment," but living with grace and skill in this messy world as real "Enlightenment."
    As there have been some scandals in the news involving prominent Buddhist teachers (although not Zen folks this time), and as we enter our Jukai season reflecting on bringing the Precepts to life in our life, I feel it is worth keeping in mind. In fact, that will be the theme of my little Dharma Talk during our long Zazenkai this coming Saturday.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
Working...