Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Douglas
    • May 2017

Buddhist texts related to the double bind problem

Can anybody recommend which Buddhist texts address the problem of double bind in thought? It would seem to me that reading..well..maybe not beneficial but..IDK..something.

The more I sit, the more I find it hard to use any word to describe Zen, which isn't a criticism. It's just what is happening.

I am curious as to how some of you first encountered this "problem" of the double bind (quotes because maybe it's not a problem?) and your experience with it?

Gassho,
    SatLah
    Doug
  • mdonnoe
    • Feb 2024

Doug,

I admit that I hadn't heard of the term "double bind," and so had to google it - forgive my ignorance.

Can you unpack what you mean here a little, or maybe expand on your understanding and the question that's arisen for you, so that I / we can better understand what you're asking?

Thank you!

Michael
    SatLah

Comment

• Rich
      • Apr 2009

This is from Dogens genjo koan commentary by kanahashi
      This is something that can be understood only by those who have departed from all views and attained true liberation. It cannot be seen with the eyes of those who are eager to be enlightened. Genjo koan comes forth where this eagerness is removed. What happens at the place where you go beyond being and non-being? Only after going beyond do the three realms come together and sentient beings come together. This is Genjo koan. To tell you the truth, even when we are deluded we are within the three realms. Even when we are enlightened we are within the three realms. The three realms do not get riled up at the time of delusion. The three realms do not get crushed at the time of enlightenment.

is this the double bind?

sat/lah
      _/_
      Rich
      MUHYO
      無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

(Just a note that the above lovely words which Rich quotes are Tanahashi's lovely words about Dogen and Genjo Koan, not Dogen's words.)

If I understand reference to the double bind, Zen is filled with many incongruities which we harmonize by, in enlightenment, knowing two ways at once (I like to call it "like two sides of a no sided coin.")

For example, there is no you, no me, no this or that, no time, no birth and death ... when known in the flowing wholeness of all, in which all distinction and separation drops away in the "cosmic chowder" ** There is just the great boiling chowder, all ingredients, bubbles coming and going, forgotten in the whole bowl.

And yet there is also me and you, this and that, time, birth and death ... clams, creme, carrots ...

All at once, like knowing life one way out of one eye, the other way out of the other eye, with both eyes open together providing clarity ... you-no-you, time-timeless, death-deathless.

Like that.

So many of the old Koan stories are about this harmonization. Really ALL the Zen texts are about this realization and resolution.

Gassho, J

stlah

** Chowder ... another salute to New England Rich.
        Last edited by Jundo; 07-25-2024, 03:08 AM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Douglas
          • May 2017

Originally posted by Rich
          This is from Dogens genjo koan commentary by kanahashi
          This is something that can be understood only by those who have departed from all views and attained true liberation. It cannot be seen with the eyes of those who are eager to be enlightened. Genjo koan comes forth where this eagerness is removed. What happens at the place where you go beyond being and non-being? Only after going beyond do the three realms come together and sentient beings come together. This is Genjo koan. To tell you the truth, even when we are deluded we are within the three realms. Even when we are enlightened we are within the three realms. The three realms do not get riled up at the time of delusion. The three realms do not get crushed at the time of enlightenment.

is this the double bind?

sat/lah
          Thanks Jundo!
          sat/lah

Comment

• Douglas
            • May 2017

Originally posted by Jundo
            (Just a note that the above lovely words which Rich quotes are Tanahashi's lovely words about Dogen and Genjo Koan, not Dogen's words.)

If I understand reference to the double bind, Zen is filled with many incongruities which we harmonize by, in enlightenment, knowing two ways at once (I like to call it "like two sides of a no sided coin.")

For example, there is no you, no me, no this or that, no time, no birth and death ... when known in the flowing wholeness of all, in which all distinction and separation drops away in the "cosmic chowder" ** There is just the great boiling chowder, all ingredients, bubbles coming and going, forgotten in the whole bowl.

And yet there is also me and you, this and that, time, birth and death ... clams, creme, carrots ...

All at once, like knowing life one way out of one eye, the other way out of the other eye, with both eyes open together providing clarity ... you-no-you, time-timeless, death-deathless.

Like that.

So many of the old Koan stories are about this harmonization. Really ALL the Zen texts are about this realization and resolution.

Gassho, J

stlah

** Chowder ... another salute to New England Rich.
            Very true! I suppose all Koans are basically double binds. Haku's "what is the sound of one hand" seems this way. Other non-Koan double binds I can think of are "Be spontaneous!" or the classic "Don't think of an Elephant". IDK why I didn't think of the Genjo Koan, you talked about that just the other month!

Gassho, Doug
            Stlah

Comment

• Onsho
              • Aug 2022

Great, now i want chowder.

Gassho
              Onsho
              Satlah

Comment

Working...