X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alina
    • Jul 2023

Magnanimous mind, Beginner's mind?

In "Opening the Hand of Thought", Uchiyama Roshi says (page 130):
    With this magnanimous mind, which throws out the thoughts of the small self and ceases to discriminate, it becomes clear that my whole world appears before me as my present circumstances, the scenery of my life, the content of my own self that is also the whole self. This is exactly the same as in zazen, where all the thoughts that come and go are the scenery of zazen.
    When I read this paragraph earlier today, it reminded me of Suzuki Roshi's idea of "Beginner's mind", with which we meet everything we encounter with an open attitude, not judging, not through the filter of our preconceptions, but with an open mind, like a beginner would. Is that the meaning of Dogen's daishin?

Gassho
    Alina
    stlah
  • Kotei
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Mar 2015

I believe you are right.
    From what I remember from Dogen's "Instructions to the Cook", where he describes the three minds one should maintain when working for the benefit of others,
    there is the Magnanimous mind (daishin / big mind) that refuses to take side, being open minded, without prejudices. For the cook, work with the ingredients you have, not the ones you would like to have.
    The Parental mind (roshin / old mind) that is taking great care with what it encounters, whatever it is, no self or other - treat the ingredients as if they were your own eyes.
    The Joyful mind (kishin) gratitude for what is in front of you. A joy that doesn't depend on circumstances, that is arising from caring about others - despite the outcome. The opportunity to serve others.
    One of these minds being the natural extension of the others.

Something like that, if I remember right.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 06-07-2024, 06:43 PM.
    義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Bion
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Aug 2020

Hi, Alina! Daishin means precisely Great or Big (DAI) Mind (SHIN). Dogen Zenji himself says, in Tenzo Kyoukun: "Magnanimous Mind is like a mountain, stable and impartial. Exemplifying the ocean, it is tolerant and views everything from the broadest perspective. Having a Magnanimous Mind means being without prejudice and refusing to take sides." That strikes me as precisely what you describe there, referencing Suzuki Roshi. But, I might also be wrong. Take this with a grain of salt, please... you know, as you would the words of any novice who is merely learning things!

PS: SORRY, KOTEI! WE POSTED SIMULTANEOUSLY There was no need for my post

Gassho
      sat and lah
      Last edited by Bion; 06-07-2024, 07:09 PM.
      "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Tai Do
        • Jan 2019

Just wondering, but Magnanimous Mind reminds me of Equanimity, Parental Mind reminds me of Lonving-kindness, and Joyful Mind reminds me of Empathetic Joy. Can I make these analogies or Dogen is referring to something entirely different?
        Gassho,
        Tai Do
        Satlah
        怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
        (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tai Do
          Just wondering, but Magnanimous Mind reminds me of Equanimity, Parental Mind reminds me of Lonving-kindness, and Joyful Mind reminds me of Empathetic Joy. Can I make these analogies or Dogen is referring to something entirely different?
          Gassho,
          Tai Do
          Satlah
          That is lovely, T.D.

Gassho, Jundo
          Stlah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tai Shi
            • Oct 2014

This is where I will speak this. Today I felt liberated because I took a walk. I took a walk for the first time in a very long time about one year!
            Last edited by Tai Shi; 06-14-2024, 06:40 AM.
            Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tai Shi
              This is where I will speak this. Today I felt liberated because I took a walk. I took a walk for the first time in a very long time about one year!
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Onkai
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Tai Shi
                Wonderful, Tai Shi!!!

Gassho, Onkai
                Sat lah
                美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...