• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Introducing Antonio's iShakyo App

Dear All,

Our member, Antonio, has worked very hard to design an App called 'iShakyo,' available for iPhone. I have not had a chance to run it myself (the iPhone user in our house, my son, won't let me near his phone ), but from what Antonio tells me, it sounds nice.

He said that it is free (although he will accept some donations for the annual apple listing). Antonio wrote me that:

It is a quite simple app that will be free for use and will have no advertisement, (I will just accept donations for maintain the yearly subscription of the apple developer program).

I will call the app iShakyo and works like this:

1 - when [you] enter in the app, some motivational phrase will appear (I inserted quotes of different zen teachers)
    2 - after the greetings, the menu will appear containing 3 options:

- zazen timer : a timer of until 1 hour
    - shakyo (this is the main module where you select the sutra and start your shakyo practice using your finger or apple pen): following the guidelines of this link https://www.sotozen.com/eng/practice/sutra/shakyo.html
    - dana: donation to help to maintain the app

and that's all.
    He says that, of course, our main timer at Treeleaf is our group at Insight Timer:
    ... but the iShakyo timer may be useful at other times. He would like suggestions for other Sutras to add to the Shakyo section.

For those who don't know, "Shakyo" is the very nice Buddhist practice of tracing the Chinese Characters of Sutras, a very relaxing and centering practice even if someone does not read any Chinese or Japanese at all. We have a Shakyo Practice Circle at Treeleaf too (LINK). Our group is not an App, just paper and pen.

Antonio, please add or correct anything about the App that I described wrong.

Sorry fellow Androiders, but I hope some of our iPhone Treeleafers might enjoy.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-15-2024, 10:21 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Antonio
    • Mar 2024

Hello Sangha,

First of all I would to thank sensei Jundo for the introduction. I created this app as my contribution to the community and the idea is to help everyone to start the practice of Shakyo, independent of having or not a material to do it (you can practice with your finger or apple pen).

Also, this is a full collaborative app. Thus, feel free to use this topic to give suggestions and also send to me via message any new material to be added.

It is important to say that, during the development, I used as a guideline to create this app the official instructions of Soto Shu school, once I don't have the knowledge of all the rules for the practice.

More, all new features requests (except improvements) will be filtered and I will kindly ask sensei Jundo or any priest designated by him to authorize the insertion of the feature in the app. This is important to try to keep the app in accordance with is taught by our teachers.

I hope that you all appreciate,
    It was made with a sincere heart.

Gassho!

SatLah

PS. If some developer of the community helps, we can create one replica of this app for Android too
    Last edited by Antonio; 05-15-2024, 10:18 AM.
    Antonio

"To study the Buddha Way is to study the self; to study the self is to forget the self; to forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the body and mind of others drop away. No trace of realization remains and this no trace continues endlessly" - Dogen Zenji

Comment

• Alyosha
      • Apr 2024

Wonderful app. Very well done Antonio!! I especially like the "SatLah" in the About section

Comment

• Tairin
        • Feb 2016

Thank you Antonio. That’s a nice, simple, clean design.

Congratulations!

Tairin
        Sat today and lah
        泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Alina
          • Jul 2023

Congratulations Antonio!
          I'd love to use it but my phone is an Android, please let us know if/when you release it for Android!

Alina
          stlah

Comment

• Antonio
            • Mar 2024

Hello Everyone!

After the request above, I realized that the app for one kind of platform was being very unfair with our Sangha friends that doesn't use Apple devices. Thus, I decided to spent several hours between coding and coffee cups to rewrite the whole thing and port the app for all platforms.

After a lot of work, It is finally ready! (NOTE: Once the name iShakyo was too connect to IOS, I needed to be creative to be more generic, but not too much, thus I renamed the app to MyShakyo)

Now, I am working in the process of distribution on the stores (Play Store, Microsoft, etc...) and this can take some time. In the meantime, if you are an Android or Windows user, you can download the installers of the app on the urls below:

Android (APK installer):

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

IOS (Still previous version. Once it is running smoothly it will be updated in a close future):

‎Introducing MyShakyo, a sanctuary for spiritual seekers. Immerse yourself in Zen meditation and Shakyo practice to uncover the essence of your being. Let the gentle guidance of our zazen timer lead you to inner peace and the realization of your true nature. Embark on a journey of self-discovery and…

Windows (No installation needed, just extract the files from the zip and execute the file myshakyo.exe) :

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

----------------

(If somebody struggle to install in this way, you can contact me via Message and I will help you. Another possibility is to wait until be available in the stores. I will let you know when this happens in the coming posts)

I really hope that everybody enjoy and that this app can help in your practice . Also, If you could help me to test the app to find bugs once it is impossible to test every situation in every possible device, I would appreciate.

PS. I said but doesn't cost to remember: The idea for app is to be a collaborative project and everybody is welcome to help me coding, give suggestions or send additional content.

Gassho!

Antonio
            Last edited by Antonio; 05-24-2024, 10:45 PM.
            Antonio

"To study the Buddha Way is to study the self; to study the self is to forget the self; to forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the body and mind of others drop away. No trace of realization remains and this no trace continues endlessly" - Dogen Zenji

Comment

• Kaitan
              Kaitan commented
              Editing a comment
              In which language you program, Antonio? Just curious

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
          • Jundo
            • Apr 2006

Lovely. I will try it this week.

Gassho, Jundo on Android
            stlah

Comment

• Onsho
              • Aug 2022

This is a lot of fun! Thank you so much!
              Gassho
              Onsho
              Satlah

Comment

• Antonio
                • Mar 2024

Hi Sangha,

To publish the App on Play Store, I need 20 people to mark as testers to confirm that the App is OK. If anyone is interested to help. Please send me your email on Private Message.

Gassho

SatLah

Antonio
                Antonio

Comment

• Antonio
                  • Mar 2024

Hi Sangha,

Last Update :

Looks like that due limitations related to the quantity of testers that need to contribute with this project, the app will take a while until be available in the Google Play.

In meantime, I just finished to implement all the software functionalities planned since the beginning of the project. Also, I added the functionality to choose the styles of calligraphy for the practice.

Now, I don't have anything more to add (except if requested). The app is open now for new ideas and contents, like new sutras, chant books, food recipes (Oryoki) , etc. Feel free to share your ideas.

Other than that, in the end of this topic you can find the latest version for Android.

More, If you want to use a windows version (portable), please use this link -> https://www.mediafire.com/file/zkr1l...3_Win.zip/file

Maybe tomorrow or in coming days (I cannot promise, everything will depend on the tests that I will make) I will update on Apple Store.

Gassho!

SatLah
                  Last edited by Antonio; 05-26-2024, 10:47 PM.
                  Antonio

Comment

Wonderful work, Antonio ! Merci ! Thank you for your dedication to this Sangha !

See you on Chanting and Zazen ⭕️ !

Mokushō
                    Sat today

Comment

• Antonio
                      • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Yuki
                      Wonderful work, Antonio ! Merci ! Thank you for your dedication to this Sangha !

See you on Chanting and Zazen ⭕️ !

Mokushō
                      Sat today
                      I am glad that you liked Mokushō. De rien mon ami !

Gassho!

SatLah
                      Antonio

Comment

• Antonio
                        • Mar 2024

Hi Sangha,

Apparently, the current app version suffer with lots of bugs generated during the port to Android. Currently, I am fixing it running hundreds of tests. Next week, hopefully I will finish to fix everything and redistribute to the public. Please, be patient until there.

Gassho!
                        SatLah
                        Antonio

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Antonio
                          Hi Sangha,

Apparently, the current app version suffer with lots of bugs generated during the port to Android. Currently, I am fixing it running hundreds of tests. Next week, hopefully I will finish to fix everything and redistribute to the public. Please, be patient until there.

Gassho!
                          SatLah
                          One fixes what one can, step by step ... although there is ultimately nothing to fix.

Fixceptance.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Antonio
                            • Mar 2024

Dear Sangha,

After a long time waiting, the app now is available at the Google Play Store.

Now, after post in both stores (Google and Apple) the app entered in the stage of continuous improvement.

It means that I will start to take more focus to fix bugs and insert additional modules (like a chant book).

Also, I will stop to use the forum to announce what will coming next. If somebody is curious, you can verify the roadmap in the link below:

For next version - Insert Stroke order  -  Insert chant book with speech recognize module - Improvement of write pattern - Support for diffe...

More, for now on I will just use this topic just to get your suggestions of new modules/fixes and to announce new versions explaining the latest improvements.

NOTE FOR IOS Users:

For my surprise, just after I published the last version weeks ago, I discovered bugs when the app is running in the latest Iphone. This bug was fixed and the tests are running in beta. The fix will be available in the next version.
                            Gassho and Fixceptance.
                            SatLah
                            Antonio

Comment

Working...