Special Treeleaf Event - Guest Teacher, Rev. Heiku Jaime McLeod - Sunday January 28th

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Special Treeleaf Event - Guest Teacher, Rev. Heiku Jaime McLeod - Sunday January 28th

Dear All,

A good friend of Treeleaf, the Rev. Heiku Jaime McLeod, Soto Zen Priest and Teacher, writer and journalist, and the author of the wise essay we are now visiting in our Treeleaf 'No Words' Book Club' entitled Picking and Choosing (LINK to ESSAY ... please pick and choose to read it! ) ... is coming to Treeleaf as a Guest Teacher on Sunday, January 28th!

Please try to join us. I would really like to get LOTS of members of our 'Digital Sangha' to attend this event via ZOOM ... And even if you have not been joining in our readings! Come anyway! (And the chapter is available at the above link too.)

Her Talk will reflect on that essay, a clear and wise reminder that our way of "acceptance and equanimity" need not and should not lead to dispassion and uncaring. Quite the contrary! She also reflects there on what it truly means to survive the hardest times.

More about Heiku:

Heiku Jaime McLeod is a priest and teacher at Treetop Zen Center in Oakland, Maine (LINK), and a volunteer chaplain at Bates College. She is a member of the White Plum Asanga, the Soto Zen Buddhist Association, and the Zen Peacemaker Order. She received Dharma Transmission from Peter Seishin Wohl in 2016.

She’s a proponent of socially engaged Buddhism and believes practice must find its expression through compassionate activity in the world, growing out of a direct experience of connection with the Earth and all beings. Her teaching focuses on the opportunities for figurative “home-leaving” available to those who remain householders, and she strives to help students awaken right within the realms of work, love, and home.

Heiku makes her living as an editor and freeleance journalist, as the communications manager at the Colby College Museum of Art, and as a contributing editor for Buddhadharma: The Practitioner’s Quarterly. Heiku lives in Lewiston, Maine, with her wife, Melissa, and their two children.

Jaime enjoys reading, camping, nature walks, swimming, science fiction, mythology, and crafting, and on Facebook describes herself as "gregarious introvert, melancholy optimist, tender curmudgeon, puckish polymath, skeptical mystic."
    She writes in her essay:

So I cringe when I hear the aim of Buddhism described as "detachment." I prefer the term "nonattachment," which doesn't conjure the same connotations of being aloof or disinterested--of being "checked out"--that detachment does. Waking up is not about checking out. It's about checking in, fearlessly facing what's in front of us without denial, without our habitual storylines, and without retreating to the safety of our fantasy worlds or addictions. ...

... Zen practitioners don't need to reside in a fantasy world, pretending everything is OK, even as the sky is literally falling. We simply do the next right thing, one step after another, tending to whatever needs to be tended to, letting go of whatever weighs us down.

The event will last about an hour or 90 minutes, and will commence Sunday, January 28th, 7:00am, California Time, which is New York 10:00am, London 3:00pm and Paris 4:00pm, Sunday. It will also be recorded for later viewing. You can join the event in the MEETING ROOM on Zoom LIVE with camera and microphone so that we can see and hear you (however, "one way" live sitters who do not wish to be seen or to speak are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off or not connect them) all at the following link: MEETING ROOM, password (if needed): dogen

It can also be viewed "one way" at the time, or later, at the following screen:

Even if you do not have the book, you can read a PDF version here from PAGE 262 (please consider to purchase the book if the remainder looks interesting to you):

Zen Teachings For Challenging Times - Second Half (PDF DOWNLOAD LINK)

There will be a Q&A after her talk, at which you can either ask a LIVE question, or email me a question which I will read (email your question to Jundotreeleaf[a]gmail.com)

I would really appreciate a BIG TREELEAF TURNOUT for this event, and I assure you that it will be worth your time to attend.

DONATION:
    The event is free, but we ask those who can afford to make a voluntary donation, whatever you might afford and feel's right, to her Sangha, the Treetop Zen Center in Maine, USA, which they work hard to maintain, via this link at their web page (please indicate that Treeleaf sent ya, and it is for this event ):

Thank you.

Heiku's essay is part of an AMAZING book which I cannot recommend highly enough to all, a very unique collection of short essays by a group of women Soto Teachers, focused on Zen Wisdom and Compassion applied to real life problems. The book deserves to be better known, and is not to be missed. We are currently reading and reflecting on it in our "No Words" book club (LINK)

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

tsuku2.jpgtsuku1.jpgtsuku.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-28-2024, 12:30 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Kotei
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Mar 2015

Thank you, Jundo.
    Looking very much forward to her visit!
    These events are always something special.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Bion
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Aug 2020

Ah! A returning guest! Lovely!

Gassho
      Sat and lah
      "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Onki
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Dec 2020

Jundo,

Thank you so much for scheduling these amazing guest speakers. I learn a new way of thinking about things with each visit.

Gasshō,

On

Sat today/LAH
        “Let me respectfully remind you
        Life and death are of supreme importance.
        Time swiftly passes by
        And opportunity ist lost.
        Each of us should strive to awaken.
        Awaken, take heed,
        Do not squander your life.​“ - Life and Death and The Great Matter

Comment

• Risho
          • May 2010

Looking forward to this!

Rish
          -stlah
          Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Austin
            • Jan 2024

This event sounds wonderful and the time shouldn’t be a problem here. Thank you so much for arranging. I am so glad for this wonderful sangha.

Gassho,
            Austin

stlah
            Last edited by Austin; 01-20-2024, 04:15 PM.
            There is a very simple way to become Buddha. Do not commit unwholesome actions; be without attachment to life and death; show profound compassion for all sentient beings; respect those above and have pity for those below; do not have a heart of likes and dislikes, aversions or desires, nor thoughts and worries about things. This is to become Buddha. Do not search someplace else.

–Dōgen, Shōji

Comment

• Onkai
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo, for arranging these talks. I look forward to this event.

Gassho, Onkai
              Sat lah
              美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
              恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Washin
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Dec 2014

Thank you, Jundo. I will try to attend provided the local situation allows.
                Also, we will again have a shorter version of the Sunday sit made for such occasions.

Gassho
                Washin
                stlah
                Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
                Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
                ----
                I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
                and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Hello All,

Just "bumping" this event for Sunday. I hope that many folks can attend to welcome Heiku. It will be worthwhile, I assure you.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Bion
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Aug 2020

Will absolutely be there!

Gassho
                    Sat and lah
                    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Kaitan
                      • Mar 2023

I couldn't follow the live event, but it was a delightful talk from Rev. Heiku. It was nice to see you all too

Gassho

stlah, Kaitan
                      Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
                      Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Risho
                        • May 2010

What a great conversation!

Rish
                        -stlah

Comment

• Alina
                          • Jul 2023

It was great joining you all in such a wonderful talk with Heiku Jaime McLeod, thank you Jundo for organizing it and thank you Treeleaf Sangha for being there!
                          I'm so grateful for being able to share the practice with you all.

Gassho

Alina
                          ST+LAH

Comment

• Risho
                            • May 2010

I didn't comment much yesterday due to lack of time, but I just really really loved the conversation. Specifically, I think sometimes I read or listen to dharma talks and just absorb them, and I don't always personalize things especially if they don't make sense. It's refreshing to hear someone tell Yunmen what for - hold on a second, not every day is a good day. Not that I disagree with "Every day is a good day", but I really appreciate the absolute personalization of practice and owning it, really owning it even owning not understanding a teaching or disagreeing with it. I felt a deep disagreement from a longterm practitioner; sometimes I disagree but I think it's more on a superficial layer.

I also appreciate the not glossing over suffering. I mean what Kokuu brought up with his personal struggles really hit home that this practice isn't to be done when conditions are perfect; those don't exist. At the same time, it doesn't take away from "every day being a good day" which my current but limited understanding is something akin to Jundo's teaching on Big G Gratitude - be grateful for all of it. To me it reinforces what this practice is all about. We aren't perfect, and that's what makes this life - this messy craziness unique and special and also Perfect.

This was also echoed when Heiku spoke about keeping the precepts; it's none of your business, these are my precepts to keep. I never thought about it that way, and I found it very helpful.

It reminds of the idea - this practice is not just for me but only I can do it. It really provided some good perspective for me.

Just a really great talk

Gassho

Rish
                            -stlah

Comment

• Myojin
                              • Feb 2023

I caught this talk this morning, really enjoyed Rev. Heiku's pragmatic and compassionate attitude.

Gassho

Satlah

Myojin

Comment

Working...