[FutureBuddha] My TED Talk, ChatGPT and WOW!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[FutureBuddha] My TED Talk, ChatGPT and WOW!

Hi Guys,

So, I have been invited to present a TED Talk here in Tsukuba, Japan on the theme of "realizing one's goals and dreams, with Zen Wisdom," and I needed to make some graphics. Our Jishin (thank you, Jishin) was kind enough to let me borrow the ChatGPT image generator he uses. As one might expect, the images are AI weird, although all on point.

HOWEVER, what I wish to highlight, and a real WOW!! for me, are the accompanying explanations by ChatGPT of the reasoning (the best word to express the process) behind ChatGPT's choices in creating each image, PLUS the incredibly wise spiritual advice it consistently offered me surrounding each image. It is astounding, and frankly, ChatGPT's words are overall wiser and more insightful than many a deluded human being I know, including myself. Here are some samples.

The "PROMPT" is by me, all the other words are ChatGPT. The talk references how I was trained as a lawyer, but wanted to become a Zen priest.

PROMPT: lawyer zen monk

CHATGPT: Creating an image of a lawyer who is also a Zen monk presents a unique blend of elements! Let's visualize this character: A calm, composed figure dressed in a blend of traditional Zen monk attire and professional lawyer elements. Think of a Zen monk's robe paired with a lawyer's suit, perhaps a jacket or a tie integrated seamlessly. The setting could be tranquil, maybe a minimalist office with Zen elements like a small indoor garden or a stone arrangement. The character might be sitting or standing in a meditative pose, holding a law book or legal documents, embodying the fusion of mindfulness and legal precision. Here's the image with the character split down the middle, showcasing one half in a Japanese Zen monk's robe and the other half in a lawyer's business suit, all while sitting in Zazen. The image now features a background that is split between a traditional Japanese Buddhist temple and a modern lawyer's office with Japanese elements. This setting complements the character's dual attire, embodying both spiritual and professional realms.

PROMPT: Many people are prisoners of their goals and working … and that is all they think about. They think, “I am not happy now, I am not content now, but when I get my goal … my degree, my big job, lots of money … then I will be happy.” In fact, many of those people never learn to be happy, because they always want MORE MORE MORE!

CHATGPT: You've touched on a profound observation about the nature of human desire and contentment. This cycle where happiness is perpetually postponed until the next achievement can indeed trap people in a state of constant dissatisfaction. It highlights the importance of finding joy in the present moment and appreciating the journey, not just the destination.

Balancing ambition with mindfulness and gratitude is key. Learning to be content with what we have while pursuing what we want can lead to a more fulfilling life. It's about embracing the idea that happiness doesn't have to be conditional on future success; it can be a part of everyday experiences and achievements. This way of thinking supports a more sustainable sense of well-being, rather than chasing an elusive state that might never come.

Do you think incorporating more mindfulness into daily routines could help shift this focus from constant striving to more immediate appreciation?

PROMPT: Imagine that your life is climbing a big mountain. You are at the bottom of the mountain, and you want to get to the top. So, you tell yourself, “I will be successful, I will be happy, when I get to the top, and get my degree, my big job, lots of money"

CHATGPT: That's a powerful metaphor for understanding life's goals and the pursuit of success. Climbing a mountain can be a great analogy for personal and professional aspirations. The journey up the mountain represents the challenges and struggles one faces along the way. Just as in mountain climbing, the path isn't always straight or easy, and there are often setbacks and obstacles that test one's resolve and endurance.

In this metaphor, the focus is often on the summit—achieving a degree, landing a big job, or amassing wealth—as the definitive point of success and happiness. However, this viewpoint might overlook the importance of the experiences and growth that occur during the climb itself. Each step up the mountain is part of a learning process, offering opportunities to gain new skills, build resilience, and understand oneself better.

It's crucial to recognize the value in the climb, not just the satisfaction of reaching the peak. Enjoying the view, resting at different points to take in the landscape, and appreciating the small achievements along the way can make the journey fulfilling in itself, regardless of the ultimate destination.

This approach can lead to a more balanced and contented life, where happiness is not a distant goal at the summit but a companion along the way. How do you see this metaphor applying to your own life or the pursuits you're engaged in?

... [Here is a] visual metaphor of a climber's journey towards achieving life goals, depicted by climbing a towering mountain. The mountain's summit is visually marked with symbols of success: a floating diploma, a skyscraper, and stacks of money, representing a degree, a good job, and wealth, respectively. The climber is midway up the steep and challenging mountain path, looking determined and focused on the goals at the top. The surrounding environment features rocky terrains and sparse vegetation, emphasizing the harsh and demanding nature of the ascent. This image illustrates the climber's ambition and the allure of the goals awaiting at the summit.

PROMPT: Reaching to the top of the mountain, you find that there are still more mountains after mountains you need to climb

CHATGPT: That's a powerful continuation of the metaphor, reflecting a common experience in life and ambition. Often, reaching what we think is the pinnacle of our goals can reveal further challenges and aspirations, much like discovering more mountains to climb beyond the one just scaled. This realization can be both daunting and exhilarating, offering endless opportunities for growth and learning.

This scenario emphasizes the ongoing nature of personal and professional development—it’s not about a single achievement or destination, but rather a continuous journey of overcoming challenges and setting new goals. It can also serve as a reminder to appreciate the journey itself, not just the achievements, and to find value and fulfillment in the process of striving and evolving.

If you were to visualize this idea, it might feature a climber reaching the summit only to gaze upon an expansive range of even taller peaks ahead, underlining the concept of perpetual pursuit and the boundless nature of human aspirations.

... [Here is a] symbolic image of a climber reaching the summit of a high mountain, only to discover an expansive range of even taller peaks ahead. The climber stands at the top, a mix of triumph and contemplation on their face as they gaze upon the new challenges. The landscape around them features a series of increasingly taller and more formidable mountains, symbolizing the ongoing journey and the continuous nature of personal and professional development. This visual metaphor captures the essence of perpetual pursuit and the boundless nature of human aspirations.

PROMPT: Giving up to climb the mountains, being content to live in the parking lot at the bottom of the mountain without climbing.

CHATGPT: That's another profound aspect of the mountain metaphor—choosing to remain at the base instead of pursuing the climb. This decision can symbolize contentment and acceptance, recognizing that happiness and fulfillment don't necessarily come from relentless pursuit or reaching the highest peaks. It reflects a different kind of wisdom, one that values simplicity, peace, and the beauty of the present moment over the continuous striving for more.

This perspective can be seen as a form of inner peace, where an individual finds satisfaction in what they already have and where they currently are, rather than being driven by external achievements or societal pressures. It’s a reminder that sometimes, staying where you are is not about giving up but making a conscious choice to appreciate your surroundings and live a life defined by personal contentment rather than societal benchmarks of success.

If we were to visualize this concept, the image might depict a serene and beautiful landscape at the base of the mountain, with a person peacefully enjoying their environment, perhaps sitting under a tree, reading a book, or simply taking in the scenery, fully at peace with their decision to not climb the mountain. ... [Here is a] poignant image showing a person choosing to live at the parking lot at the foot of a mountain. The individual is depicted with a small, makeshift living space, cleverly set up with a tent, a camping chair, and personal belongings, symbolizing a modest but content lifestyle. The parking lot serves as a stark, unconventional home base with the towering mountain in the background, representing the overlooked opportunities of climbing. This setup contrasts with the natural beauty of the mountain, emphasizing the person's choice to stay grounded and find happiness in simplicity, away from societal pressures to ascend. This setting symbolizes a modest but content lifestyle, emphasizing the individual's choice to find happiness in simplicity, away from the societal pressures to ascend the mountain.

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-21-2024, 03:22 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Shinshi
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jul 2010

Congratulations on the TED talk Jundo. That is great.

Tee rest is fascinating.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
    -Dogen
    E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shinshi

Tee rest is fascinating.
      I think there is an error in your programming, Shinshi. I asked this of GPT, and it responds ...

Here's a playful and quirky image titled "Tee Rest is Fascinating," featuring personified golf tees taking a break on a surreal miniature golf course. Various colorful tees are depicted lounging around, some reclining under tiny umbrellas, others reading miniature books or sipping drinks from thimble-sized cups. They exhibit expressions of relaxation and contentment, enjoying their leisure time on a vibrant green lawn dotted with small sand traps and flags. This imaginative scenario blends the worlds of golf and fantasy in a charming and amusing way. Take a look and enjoy the whimsical twist on the concept of 'rest'!

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Kaitan
        • Mar 2023

Congratulations on the TED talk, Jundo! Is it going to be in English?

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
        Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
        Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kaitan
          Congratulations on the TED talk, Jundo! Is it going to be in English?

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
          English with some Japanese.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Comment

• johns
            • Jul 2023

Congratulations Teacher! I hope it is recorded, this is a very timely topic for me.

Gassho,

John

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Byokan
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Apr 2014

Congratulations! Very much looking forward to your Ted Talk!

Metta for that guy that lost his leg. He seems at ease with all his ills.

Gassho
              Byōkan
              sat + lah
              展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
              Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Koriki
                • Apr 2022

It's pretty amazing how quickly AI can create. My cousin was telling me about an AI composing tool and I just had it create a Blues song using the Four Vows. It's actually quite good.

Gassho,

Koriki

s@lah
                Last edited by Koriki; 04-22-2024, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Koriki
                  It's pretty amazing how quickly AI can create. My cousin was telling me about an AI composing tool and I just had it create a Blues song using the Four Vows. It's actually quite good.

Gassho,

Koriki

s@lah
                  That is pretty amazing. I have sometimes thought that Treeleaf needs to put a an album (I would go for blues and funk, with some dance music and drum&bass trax).

So, how much of what I hear at the link is you, and how much the AI?

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Doshin
                    • May 2015

Gassho,

Koriki

s@lah
                    Now that is a definitely an adaption of Zen for the West.

Doshin
                    Stlah

Comment

• Koriki
                      • Apr 2022

I pasted the Four Vows in the lyrics box, suggested Blues as the genre, and made the title. I wish I could say it was a greater contribution. I did also copy and paste the link...

Gassho,
                      Koriki
                      s@lah

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

I pasted the Four Vows in the lyrics box, suggested Blues as the genre, and made the title. I wish I could say it was a greater contribution. I did also copy and paste the link...

Gassho,
                        Koriki
                        s@lah
                        So, the music, lyrics, guitar and vocals are all AI? Wow.

How much does this service cost? Maybe I should write that album! Our Bion-ce can produce.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Koriki
                          • Apr 2022

How much does this service cost?
                          The same price as enlightenment itself. https://suno.com/

Gassho,
                          Koriki
                          s@lah

Comment

• Jishin
                            • Oct 2012

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

The same price as enlightenment itself. https://suno.com/

Gassho,
                              Koriki
                              s@lah
                              I understand now why folks in the music industry are a bit concerned.

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

Working...