This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shigeru
    • Feb 2024

My deepest gratitude to Jundo for these talks. I keep returning to the symbolism of the hand of thought whenever I find myself caught up in grasping too much at the clouds of my mind, both on and off the cushion. Powerful meaning in simple packaging

Gassho
    Will
    SatLah
    Last edited by Shigeru; 03-29-2024, 11:56 PM.
    - Will

Respecting others is my only duty - Ryokan

Comment

• nima
      • Mar 2024

Many thanks or the clear videos for beginners. In many Zen schools Koans are also used for students. Does this method use in Treeleaf too? may be for non-beginners?

Gassho,
      Nima

Sat/Lah

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by nima
        Many thanks or the clear videos for beginners. In many Zen schools Koans are also used for students. Does this method use in Treeleaf too? may be for non-beginners?

Gassho,
        Nima

Sat/Lah
        Hi Nima,

In Soto Zen, Koans are typically used more as teaching stories, not as some phrase to ponder during Zazen, and not as some curriculum to be moved through with mysterious answers expected like a test to be passed.

If you would like examples, please look at some past reflections on the Koans of the Book of Serenity. For example, here is one such Koan ...

Case 94: Tozan Unwell

Tozan was unwell. A monk asked,
        "Your Reverence is unwell. Is there anyone who does not become ill?"
        Tozan said,
        "There is."
        The monk said,
        "Does the one who does not get ill take care of Your Reverence?"
        Tozan said,
        "The old monk is properly taking care of that one."
        The monk said,
        "How about when your Reverence takes care of that one?"
        Tozan said,
        "Then the old monk does not see that there is illness."
        And here are some reflections: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...NIMITY-Case-94

I am preparing now to soon begin a new, similar dance with the Koans of the Book of Serenity.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Houzan
          • Dec 2022

Originally posted by Jundo
          I am preparing now to soon begin a new, similar dance with the Koans of the Book of Serenity.
          Looking forward!

Gassho, Hōzan
          Satlah

Comment

• nima
            • Mar 2024

Hi Nima,

In Soto Zen, Koans are typically used more as teaching stories, not as some phrase to ponder during Zazen, and not as some curriculum to be moved through with mysterious answers expected like a test to be passed.

If you would like examples, please look at some past reflections on the Koans of the Book of Serenity. For example, here is one such Koan ...

And here are some reflections: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...NIMITY-Case-94

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
            Many Thanks dear Jundo. Most of the Koans are two times harder for me (because of my almost poor English)

Gassho,
            Nima

Sat/Lah

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Hōzan
              Looking forward!

Gassho, Hōzan
              Satlah
              I meant that I am planning a dance with "Blue Cliff Record" this time, not Book of Serenity ...

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Houzan
                • Dec 2022

I meant that I am planning a dance with "Blue Cliff Record" this time, not Book of Serenity ...

Gassho, J

stlah
                Even more so then [emoji4]

Gassho, Hōzan
                Satlah

Comment

• Snow
                  • May 2024

I sat this morning after listening to the Mirror episode (10 I believe). The use of your daughter's blocks was especially endearing. I've been sitting Zazen as a daily thing for a few weeks now and it is feeling more natural each time. Thank you for the help.

Comment

• Bion
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Snow
                    I sat this morning after listening to the Mirror episode (10 I believe). The use of your daughter's blocks was especially endearing. I've been sitting Zazen as a daily thing for a few weeks now and it is feeling more natural each time. Thank you for the help.
                    Ah, fantastic!! I hope we coincide at one of the scheduled sits! Would be lovely to practice together

gassho
                    sat and lah
                    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Snow
                      • May 2024

Originally posted by Bion

Ah, fantastic!! I hope we coincide at one of the scheduled sits! Would be lovely to practice together

gassho
                      sat and lah
                      I intend to. I'm on the road at the moment for work and my schedule is challenging, but like all things this shall pass soon and I intend to join some of the online sits.

Comment

• Bion
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Aug 2020

I intend to. I'm on the road at the moment for work and my schedule is challenging, but like all things this shall pass soon and I intend to join some of the online sits.
                        Whenever it happens, it’ll be a joy to say hello to you!

gassho
                        sat and lah
                        "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Snow
                          • May 2024

I sat this morning after listening to episode 11 on breathing. I see the up and down of focusing on breath. On one hand, while doing so, I was not very aware of my other experiences and sensations, but I was extremely preoccupied with the next upcoming number.

“Here comes six, are you ready? Don’t lose track. Breath number 6, here we go. There it is. There is goes. Breath six. That means the next breath will be… oh yes, seven, prepare for breath seven, don’t forget this next breath is seven, here it comes…”

So on one hand, focusing on breath seems to make it very difficult for me to “open the hand of thought” because I am very intentionally holding that that particular thought so tightly. Of course, with the proverbial hand closed so tightly, that left very little room for other thoughts. Though of course some of the slippery buggers still got in.

Thank you for the tools.

-Erik

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

I sat this morning after listening to episode 11 on breathing. I see the up and down of focusing on breath. On one hand, while doing so, I was not very aware of my other experiences and sensations, but I was extremely preoccupied with the next upcoming number.

“Here comes six, are you ready? Don’t lose track. Breath number 6, here we go. There it is. There is goes. Breath six. That means the next breath will be… oh yes, seven, prepare for breath seven, don’t forget this next breath is seven, here it comes…”

So on one hand, focusing on breath seems to make it very difficult for me to “open the hand of thought” because I am very intentionally holding that that particular thought so tightly. Of course, with the proverbial hand closed so tightly, that left very little room for other thoughts. Though of course some of the slippery buggers still got in.

Thank you for the tools.

-Erik
                            Hi Snow,

Oh, we don't count breaths in our tradition. We just lightly follow as the breath enters and exists, at the nose. We even forget "inside/outside" as we are doing so, just following the incoming and receding waves without thought of coming or going. Eventually, we can move to open awareness.

But no counting, precisely for the reasons you describe.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Comment

• Devaprem
                              • Jun 2024

Hello Jundo. Thank you for your words about Shikantaza Zazen is not being meditation (https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/tea...not-meditation). I have been just sitting every day since recently joining the Sangha and the experience cuts through everything. It is hard sometimes and easy at others. I am aware of my mind wanting to distinguish between hard and easy and even that distinguishing I am sometimes able to let go of (but that's hard at times too...!). I have meditated in the past without any purpose or goal - if one arose then I was able to let go of that at times too. I see that meditation with a purpose is not Shikantaza Zazen but my experience of 'purposeless meditation' brought me here to this Sangha and, in just sitting, there is a feeling coming home. Thank you to this Sangha for being here

Gassho,
                              Devaprem

(Sat today)
                              Last edited by Devaprem; 07-04-2024, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Devaprem
                                Hello Jundo. Thank you for your words about Shikantaza Zazen is not being meditation (https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/tea...not-meditation). I have been just sitting every day since recently joining the Sangha and the experience cuts through everything. It is hard sometimes and easy at others. I am aware of my mind wanting to distinguish between hard and easy and even that distinguishing I am sometimes able to let go of (but that's hard at times too...!). I have meditated in the past without any purpose or goal - if one arose then I was able to let go of that at times too. I see that meditation with a purpose is not Shikantaza Zazen but my experience of 'purposeless meditation' brought me here to this Sangha and, in just sitting, there is a feeling coming home. Thank you to this Sangha for being here

Gassho,
                                Devaprem

(Sat today)
                                Lovely. Just keep sitting, Dev.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Comment

Working...