X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tai Shi
    This is the Lotus Sutra first two lines. Sanskrit and Chinese .
    Hi Tai Shi,

Ah, that is a famous section of "Chapter Sixteen: The Life Span of the Tathagata (Juryohon)," a portion of the Lotus Sutra. It has been prized by Dogen and other Soto Zen Buddhists, and is recited in Soto Zen monasteries each day as part of the Morning Service. It is not in Sanskrit, actually, but in Chinese transliterated (in the roman letters) into Japanese pronunciation.

自我得仏来所経諸劫数無量百千万億載阿僧祇

Since I attained buddhahood the number of kalpas that have passed is an immeasurable hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions, trillions, asamkhyas.

Kalpas are vast eras of time in Buddhist teaching, and asamkhyas is another measure that is basically meant to be beyond measure. This section of the Lotus Sutra is prized because, beyond the finite life span of the historical man who lived and died in India, it emphasizes an aspect of "Buddha" that is somehow beyond time

It is not the first line of that Chapter either, but near the start. Burton Watson translates the whole passage as ("nayuta" is yet another incredibly large measure):

"Suppose a person were to take five hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, a million nayuta asamkhya thousand-million-fold worlds and grind them to dust. Then, moving eastward, each time he passes five hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, a million nayuta asamkhya worlds he drops a particle of dust. He continues eastward in this way until he has finished dropping all the particles. Good men, what is your opinion? Can the total number of all these worlds be imagined or calculated?"

The bodhisattva Maitreya and the others said to the Buddha: "World-Honored One, these worlds are immeasurable, boundless--one cannot calculate their number, nor does the mind have the power to encompass them. Even all the voice-hearers and pratyekabuddhas with their wisdom free of outflows could not imagine or understand how many there are. Although we abide in the stage of avivartika [the stage of non-regression in Buddhist practice], we cannot comprehend such a matter. World-Honored One, these worlds are immeasurable and boundless."

At that time the Buddha said to the multitude of great bodhisattvas: "Good men, now I will state this to you clearly. Suppose all these worlds, whether they received a particle of dust or not, are once more reduced to dust. Let one particle represent one kalpa. The time that has passed since I attained Buddhahood surpasses this by a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, a million nayuta asamkhya kalpas. Ever since then I have been constantly in this saha world, preaching the Law, teaching and converting, and elsewhere I have led and benefited living beings in hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of nayutas and asamkhyas of lands.

http://jizainoken2.web.fc2.com/text/Chap16.htm
    Of course, I personally would not take the scene depicted literally, and consider it a work of the religious imagination with grand images and wild scenes to rival anything George Lucas can come up with in Star Wars! However, I would take the point that it is making quite literally, namely, that they teachings are timeless, never end or begin, leap beyond the clock and cover the universe from startless start to endless end. In our own era, in which physicists envision countless galaxies in the known universe alone, and perhaps whole arrays of universes in a multi-verse, those old Buddhist authors of the Lotus Sutra and such were quite ahead of their time!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-29-2021, 11:28 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tai Shi
      • Oct 2014

Hi Jundo, Marge said she lost interest when we began speaking of countless immeasurable periods of time. Marjorie is always and forever grateful and living today and especially in this moment. She feels the beautiful way is the simplest way. I have lived with her for 41 years this July and it’s no accident I “got sober “ in the same month we decided to occupy the same space and time. So for her the only teaching is that it is better to live now. For her, well, she taught me that today is the only way and and without today, all the Kulpus don’t matter much. When we surrender to the moment, and she taught me in the first month of sobriety, though we did it together. We found surrender is like a child’s Chinese handcuffs. If you struggle you never get free, freedom is relax and let it happen, just surrender. These are beautiful and what Marge and I have lived by for 34 years and countless others. See Jundo and others, Marjorie and I will never be separated from earth other this is the selfless ticket to Xanidu and all the Shangralas are as nothing to us. When I nearly died from bleeding to death, and 2 months later the psychiatrist had me again on the wrong medication for the millionth time and we helped each other side by side as it has been and always will be, we will never ever be apart. We are together now with everything and everywhere.
      Gassho
      Deep Bows
      sat/ lah
      Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Tai Shi
        • Oct 2014

The beautiful photos of serenity in my neighborhood especially the area near the park those beautiful flowers and the beautiful walkway.
        Gassho
        sat/ lah
        Tai Shi

Comment

• Tai Shi
          • Oct 2014

ARTS: Zen photography

When I gush, it may be in the wrong place. Poetry best placed with poetry. Each have oneness, and not to diminishing anyone’s art. Even with and for Treeleaf Zendo while at Treeleaf. Less is more. More is less.
          Gassho
          sat:
          / lah
          Tai Shi

Last edited by Tai Shi; 07-01-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Tai Shi
            • Oct 2014

I have learned from a critic of the Lotus Sutra how important it is to Mahayana Buddhism for equality for practice.
            Gassho
            sat/ lah
            Tai Shi. Thank you

Comment

• Gareth
              • Jun 2020

Hello from the Isle of Wight

5BA7F0BC-5A3B-440D-B522-8211935CB7FA.jpeg
              E8CD1835-8399-42BE-A285-4CEDA0874C2C.jpeg
              DAE4B2CF-9BF9-4164-8A45-FA3686590507.jpeg
              05105983-98BB-42D7-8BA6-A523E6D8188A.jpeg

Gassho,
              Gareth

Sat today, Lah

Comment

• Tai Shi
                • Oct 2014

Jishin, I am a convert, as Jundo pointed toward THE BUDDHA Tatagatha, ordinary man turned or yet extraordinary, these being my kulpas of one dust, as does another, in all equal, man, woman, neither, both one for the other we are, we are that particle of dust invisible disable, and placed back together in fine undertaking of Precepts six, seven, eight we have less anger today. This will be my natural death, my equality.
                Deep Bows
                Gassho
                sat/ lah
                Tai Shi
                Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-06-2021, 06:41 PM. Reason: complete ideas, concisiom

Comment

• Gareth
                  • Jun 2020

Another two

60BA2F86-11A8-4B3A-ACDE-E12EEE34C936.jpeg
                  0561D665-714E-4665-8DDD-6FA56B4859A6.jpeg

Gassho,
                  Gareth

Sat today, attempted Lah

Comment

• Cam
                    • Sep 2021

My first post, and thanks for a thread right up my street.
                    Buddleias can grow in all sorts of urban places- they were the first plants to grow in bombsites after the Blitz, and they attract butterflies into the urban landscape. Londoners voted for it as the plant that best symbolises our resilient city. Here a buddleia is growing behind and reflected on construction site hoarding on a glorious day as building and growth continues in our city.
                    Sat today
                    Growth Mindset C.jpg

Comment

• Tai Shi
                      • Oct 2014

New alter in upstairs office room, less space, happy no falls.
                      Gassho
                      sat/ lah

Comment

• Alina
                        • Jul 2023

This morning as I was going from my office to my kitchen (I work from home) I saw this on the wall opposite to the front door. A ray of sunlight was coming in through the peephole, creating a "rainbow enso". It lasted only a few moments, then faded away. I am not sure if it fits the Zen photography definition, but I thought it was worth sharing it, it gave my morning a bit of magic.

real_rainbow_enso.jpg

Gassho

Alina
                        ST+LAH

Comment

• Kokuu
                          Treeleaf Priest
                          • Nov 2012

real_rainbow_enso.jpg
                          Beautiful! It does look like an enso of many colours!

This past couple of mornings the sun has been coming up just when I start my morning sit and that has been a very lovely thing. No pictures though.

Gassho
                          Kokuu
                          -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Tai Shi
                            • Oct 2014

ARTS: Zen photography

Living with my recovery is a blessing and I hope that the pain treatment is a blessing and my doctor said it may work up to a year and I am so thankful for now is here life and death are of supreme importance “time passes swiftly by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should awaken, awaken, awake. Take head do not squander your life.”
                            Gassho
                            sat/ lah
                            Tai Shi

Last edited by Tai Shi; 01-20-2024, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...