• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onki
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Dec 2020

[HealthDharma] Fibromyalgia

Hello Sangha,

I just got home from a doctor’s appointment as a follow up from my hospital stay.

The main concerns that needed to be addressed were: fibromyalgia management including potentially increasing my pain medication, and the results from the biliary scan that I received on Friday.

As for the biliary scan, they do not have the results yet.

The fibromyalgia is a little more complicated.

I went in and told the resident (I didn’t get to see my doctor at all) my history with fibromyalgia, what I have tried such as medications and other forms of therapy such as massage and acupuncture. I explained that I have been taking a specific pain medication for almost a year and that it WAS helping somewhat, but the last month and since my discharge from hospital (as well as coming off of 5 different medications) it has not been very effective at relieving my pain. She explained about fibromyalgia and the medication that I’m taking (which was a good refresher). She also suggested that I begin swimming (in warm water pools, specifically) as this can help loosen the tight muscles, provide exercise, and promote weight loss and flexibility.

This all sounds good, however, this does not provide any pain relieve RIGHT NOW.

I asked her about increasing my pain medication as well as trying a muscle relaxer, to which she refused. She suggested that I go to a pain clinic that specializes with the pain medication that I take.

She told me about pacing myself; on the days where I am not in pain to do what I can, but to be extremely mindful and not push myself beyond what I am capable of. For the days that the pain is excruciating, to make myself as comfortable as I can and essentially deal with it.

I know that with fibromyalgia there is no magic pill that will take away 100% of my pain, much to my chagrin. I just wish there was something that I could take to be able to live my life the way that I want to, instead of needing to question if my body is going to cooperate with me.

Chronic pain is terrible. Thanks for listening [emoji1431]

Gasshō,

On

Sat today/LAH
    “Let me respectfully remind you
    Life and death are of supreme importance.
    Time swiftly passes by
    And opportunity ist lost.
    Each of us should strive to awaken.
    Awaken, take heed,
    Do not squander your life.​“ - Life and Death and The Great Matter
  • Byokan
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Onki
    I just wish there was something that I could take to be able to live my life the way that I want to, instead of needing to question if my body is going to cooperate with me.

Chronic pain is terrible. Thanks for listening [emoji1431]

Gasshō,
    On
    Sat today/LAH
    Hi Onki,

Thanks so much for sharing these struggles. I bow to your generosity. It really helps to know that we are not alone.

The Buddha has been likened to a physician, in that he treats the ailments and suffering of the world. His prescription for all ailments was the Four Noble Truths. The very bedrock of our practice, from which flows the spring of equanimity and acceptance, even joy, in our perfectly imperfect experience in this life and body. Everything comes back to this, always.

Of course Zen practice won't let you magically live your life -- physically -- the way you want to. I really hope that meds and exercise and self care will improve your situation! Chronic pain is indeed terrible. I'm in the club; thankfully doing pretty well right now. Lots of love and metta for all who struggle with it.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Jishin
      • Oct 2012

Buddha did not say this but it is true.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

• Tairin
        • Feb 2016

My wife has fibromyalgia and while I can’t say that I understand it I can certainly see the impacts it has on her daily life. I can appreciate the desire for a miracle cure but I also know it doesn’t exist (yet). It sure is an insidious disease.

Metta to you and to all who suffer with fibromyalgia. Be gentle with yourself.

Tairin
        Sat today and lah
        泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Peace and Metta, Onki.

Buddha did not say this but it is true.
          It is a fake quote, but the Buddha did have similar teachings ...

The message itself is very congruent with the Buddha’s teachings. There is a wonderful sutta called the Sallatha Sutta, which points to the distinction between “feelings of pain” and the secondary suffering that arises from our response to that initial pain. Here’s the relevant part of the sutta:

“When touched with a feeling of pain, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats his breast, becomes distraught. So he feels two pains, physical & mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, were to shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pains of two arrows; in the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats his breast, becomes distraught. So he feels two pains, physical & mental.”

Although the sutta talks about the first kind of pain as being physical, the same principle applies to emotional pain, although the distinction between physical and emotional pain is questionable anyway. Emotional pain is felt in the body, to the extent that painkillers have been shown to reduce the pain of social isolation, for example. So this principle is applied to things like having our feelings hurt. When our feelings are hurt, this is “pain.” We often respond to hurt feelings by blaming the other person, or ourselves, and this results in more pain (“suffering.”)

“Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional” is a very valid teaching, and consonant with the Buddha’s teaching. But it’s not something that was said by the Buddha, or Hotei, or Jesus, or Santa Claus.

https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/pain-is...g-is-optional/
          Gassho, J

stlah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kokuu
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Nov 2012

Hi Onki

From what I hear, fibro pain can be really horrible and disabling. I hope you can get a referral to the pain clinic.

Several things I have found helpful in my own illness which might be worth considering:

1. The Curable app (https://www.curablehealth.com/). This works a lot with pain management and might be useful.

2. Gentle yoga. I have found that this can help to loosen tight muscles in a similar way to swimming in warm water. There is a lot of content now on YouTube and elsewhere with yoga instructors leading sessions for people with chronic illness.

Wishing you freedom from pain, my friend.

Gassho
            Kokuu
            -sattoday/lah-

Comment

• Ankai
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Nov 2007

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional."
              No, Buddha did not say this.
              H.H. The Dalai Lama, however, says it quite often. And, it would seem to be true, regardless of who the actual quote may be attributed to.

ST
              LAH
              -Ankai
              Gassho!
              護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

Comment

• Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ankai
                "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional."
                No, Buddha did not say this.
                H.H. The Dalai Lama, however, says it quite often. And, it would seem to be true, regardless of who the actual quote may be attributed to.

ST
                LAH
                -Ankai
                Actually, I do not believe that the Dalai Lama ever actually said it either.

Even so, wise enough.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Onki
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Kokuu
                  Hi Onki

From what I hear, fibro pain can be really horrible and disabling. I hope you can get a referral to the pain clinic.

Several things I have found helpful in my own illness which might be worth considering:

1. The Curable app (https://www.curablehealth.com/). This works a lot with pain management and might be useful.

2. Gentle yoga. I have found that this can help to loosen tight muscles in a similar way to swimming in warm water. There is a lot of content now on YouTube and elsewhere with yoga instructors leading sessions for people with chronic illness.

Wishing you freedom from pain, my friend.

Gassho
                  Kokuu
                  -sattoday/lah-
                  Thank you for the suggestions, Kokuu.

I am going to apply for financial assistance for the YMCA near our place. They have a whole bunch of stuff such as a gym, swimming, pool, fitness classes, a hockey ring, and even a library.

I think this may be of some benefit to me And managing the fibromyalgia.

I’m looking for a heated pool to begin Aquafit.

Gentle stretching and heat also seem to help.

I absolutely wish that there was some magic cure to make this pain all go away, but I know that is not reality. I’m willing to try anything at this point.

Gasshō,

On

Sat today/LAH
                  “Let me respectfully remind you
                  Life and death are of supreme importance.
                  Time swiftly passes by
                  And opportunity ist lost.
                  Each of us should strive to awaken.
                  Awaken, take heed,
                  Do not squander your life.​“ - Life and Death and The Great Matter

Comment

Working...