[HealthDharma] Resources

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012
    • 6755

    #16
    How did the MRI scan go, Prasanth? I hope that all is well.

    Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

    Comment

    • Prashanth
      Member
      • Nov 2021
      • 182

      #17
      Originally posted by Kokuu
      How did the MRI scan go, Prasanth? I hope that all is well.

      Gassho
      Kokuu
      -sattoday/lah-
      Thank you, Kokuu. That's a story by itself. It was my third attempt after two failed two attempts over last four weeks where I had stopped the procedure due to claustrophobia (I never knew I had it before). But after lot of work and getting back to sitting, I could be "just there" inside the MRI machine, luckily with a mirror reflecting a documentary on Dolphins and Orcas....and I sat looking at all that. Within minutes I just felt that was the place to be, nowhere else to go, that is all there is at that moment. Before even I knew I was drawn out of the tunnel which had become my temple so quickly.
      Diagnosis was a Herniated disc in the neck (c5-c6) and some minor other aspects.
      Any suggestions for sitting postures?


      Gassho.

      Sat.

      Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • Kokuu
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Nov 2012
        • 6755

        #18
        I am really glad you could get through the MRI scan, Prasanth. I have never been in one but imagine they feel pretty closed in even if you aren't normally claustrophobic.

        So, that is great it could become your 'temple' for the time you were in there.

        I don't have any expertise on cervical disc herniation so you might want to ask a doctor or physical therapist on how it is best to support your neck in that situation. Could a neck brace help? Do you find that different postures affect you differently?

        You might ask the question in the Zen Practice part of the forum in case anyone else is dealing with this. Tai Shi in particular has problems because of his ankylosing spondylitis. Jundo might have some advice too but I just don't know enough to feel confident in anything I suggest.

        Gassho
        Kokuu
        -sattoday/lah-

        Comment

        • Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006
          • 39270

          #19
          MRI Insight ...

          Within minutes I just felt that was the place to be, nowhere else to go, that is all there is at that moment. Before even I knew I was drawn out of the tunnel which had become my temple so quickly.


          Gassho, J

          stlah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

          Comment

          • Prashanth
            Member
            • Nov 2021
            • 182

            #20
            Originally posted by Kokuu
            I am really glad you could get through the MRI scan, Prasanth. I have never been in one but imagine they feel pretty closed in even if you aren't normally claustrophobic.

            So, that is great it could become your 'temple' for the time you were in there.

            I don't have any expertise on cervical disc herniation so you might want to ask a doctor or physical therapist on how it is best to support your neck in that situation. Could a neck brace help? Do you find that different postures affect you differently?

            You might ask the question in the Zen Practice part of the forum in case anyone else is dealing with this. Tai Shi in particular has problems because of his ankylosing spondylitis. Jundo might have some advice too but I just don't know enough to feel confident in anything I suggest.

            Gassho
            Kokuu
            -sattoday/lah-
            Gassho. I will reach out to the others.
            Gassho.

            Sat.

            Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • Do Mi
              Member
              • Apr 2023
              • 95

              #21
              Wow, Prashanth, you did amazing in the MRI. Congratulations.

              I have had a herniated disc at the base of my neck (maybe same as you). The disc material had spilled out onto the nerve going down my arm and was incredibly painful. The doctor who interpreted the MRI told me I didn't need surgery and could heal it with PT, and she was right. My wonderful physical therapist took me through healing it, which took quite a while but was completely successful. The stuff from inside the disc dries up and the tear heals (sorry for non-medical terminology!)

              I had to sit up in a hospital bed with neck supported for quite a while, and though I was not practicing zazen at the time, I did meditate in that posture (and this period was when I first was drawn back to Buddhism by mindfulness guided meditations and Rick Hanson's newsletter).

              I hope you find good treatment and support! And please keep us posted if you want!

              In gassho,

              Do Mi
              sat and lah

              Comment

              • Prashanth
                Member
                • Nov 2021
                • 182

                #22
                Originally posted by Do Mi
                Wow, Prashanth, you did amazing in the MRI. Congratulations.

                I have had a herniated disc at the base of my neck (maybe same as you). The disc material had spilled out onto the nerve going down my arm and was incredibly painful. The doctor who interpreted the MRI told me I didn't need surgery and could heal it with PT, and she was right. My wonderful physical therapist took me through healing it, which took quite a while but was completely successful. The stuff from inside the disc dries up and the tear heals (sorry for non-medical terminology!)

                I had to sit up in a hospital bed with neck supported for quite a while, and though I was not practicing zazen at the time, I did meditate in that posture (and this period was when I first was drawn back to Buddhism by mindfulness guided meditations and Rick Hanson's newsletter).

                I hope you find good treatment and support! And please keep us posted if you want!

                In gassho,

                Do Mi
                sat and lah
                Thank you for the encouragement.

                Gassho.

                Sat

                Sent from my Lenovo TB-7305F using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • Kokuu
                  Treeleaf Priest
                  • Nov 2012
                  • 6755

                  #23
                  A short talk by Pema Chödrön on coping with chronic illness.

                  Coping with Chronic Illness

                  Gassho
                  Kokuu
                  -sattoday/lah-

                  Comment

                  • Koriki
                    Member
                    • Apr 2022
                    • 155

                    #24
                    Very helpful. Thanks Kokuu.

                    Gassho,
                    Koriki
                    s@lah

                    Comment

                    Working...