X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onka
    replied
    Originally posted by Meitou
    As in my previous post, there is a new online cross faith vigil for the Earth starting this evening to accompany a live prayer vigil in Westminster London UK for a week.
    I will be sitting in vigil with the group every evening, reciting a prayer and poem to accompany my sitting ( although my usual zazen will be kept separate).
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah

Info http://www.satyarobyn.com/vigil/?fbc...bnv8mLkOLVOvWc
    This is a terrific idea. I'm not on any social media these days but in a few years look forward to re-engaging with radical politics in a more peaceful way.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat

Leave a comment:

• Meitou
    replied
    As in my previous post, there is a new online cross faith vigil for the Earth starting this evening to accompany a live prayer vigil in Westminster London UK for a week.
    I will be sitting in vigil with the group every evening, reciting a prayer and poem to accompany my sitting ( although my usual zazen will be kept separate).
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah

Info http://www.satyarobyn.com/vigil/?fbc...bnv8mLkOLVOvWc
    Last edited by Meitou; 08-31-2020, 10:45 AM. Reason: forgot link duh

Leave a comment:

• Meitou
    replied
    Just a quick update about the 40 day Vigil - because of the current emergency this has now switched to an online vigil, which although it may have less impact, is lovely for those who couldn't actually be in London - we now all have the chance to sign up to the rota and it's going strong.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday

Leave a comment:

• Geika
    replied

Gassho
    Sat today, lah

Leave a comment:

• Tairin
    replied

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Leave a comment:

• Tai Do
    replied
    Thank you, Meitou. Like you, I am very skeptical about things like karma, rebirth and merit. But I will dedicate my sittings to Earth and all sentient and not so sentient living beings of this planet and leave the question of transfer of merit for emptiness.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH

Leave a comment:

• Doshin
    replied

Doshin
    St

Leave a comment:

• Meitou
    replied
    I'm currently supporting this initiative - a 40 day prayer and meditation vigil for the Earth, which is an interfaith action put together by various Extinction Rebellion faith groups. People are sitting in vigil outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminster in London - 24/7 - no mean feat at this time of year!
    I can't be with them physically unfortunately, so I am dedicating my sitting practice to them as a form of support. I hesitate to say 'dedicating' because that sounds a bit like when people say they are dedicating 'Merit' to various situations, something I don't actually buy into and which, along with ideas about karma, was instrumental in me shifting from Tibetan Buddhism to Zen.
    Also when I started, I had to find a way to relate my sitting to this support but without introducing an objective into zazen or creating a conflict of interest. All I did was - nothing! I stay aware and alert, perhaps a bit more aware of my body touching the earth and being supported by it, more conscious of the sounds of the world around me.
    To my suprise I've found that something has shifted in my sitting, almost as if checking back with myself that what I am doing isn't conflicting with zazen actually freed up something in the zazen - I wonder now if in the past, I have actually been holding the idea that ' I am sitting zazen', and that has dissolved away. I am also able to sit longer - I will admit that after about 20 minutes sitting I often get fidgety, my mind agitates, bits of me, usually my back and thighs, start hurting. This has also changed and I'm now sitting 30 minutes minimum usually twice a day.
    The people doing this are fabulous, giving up time, sitting through the night, sometimes all alone for 8 hours, middle of London, all weathers. Today they were joined by Lord Rowan Williams, ex Archbishop of Canterbury and all round good guy.
    Here's a bit of info, I've also created an Insight Timer group, just to keep a record of what I'm doing...

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

United in fierce love for our sacred Earth, we invite you to join us for a multi faith prayer and meditation vigil.

This multi-faith vigil is inspired by the Christian season of Lent - traditionally a time of reflection, preparation and growth, a time when we acknowledge our failings and resolve to do better. Members of all faith communities of the Extinction Rebellion Faith Bridge will come together in Parliament Square to protest and bear witness to the urgent need to end our dangerous addiction to fossil fuels.

We will come together with humility and compassion in lament for the climate and ecological crisis and to pray for our leaders and representatives to find in themselves the courage to take the urgent action that is necessary to protect our fragile and wounded world.

This vigil will be beautiful in its simplicity and powerful in its intent – to come together as people from various faith communities, and sit together in our grief and our deep love for our planet.

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah

Leave a comment:

• Doshin
    replied
    Meitou I have been following the course. Thanks for the lead to Extinction Rebellion Buddhist FB group. Domyo of Bright Way Zen also participated in a protest in Oregon, US last week and I believe she and others were arrested as well.

Gassho
    Doshin
    st

Leave a comment:

• Jundo
    replied
    This just in ...

The concentration of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere has reached a record high, according to a newly released report from the World Meteorological Organization.

In 2018, global average concentrations of the greenhouse gas, which is a byproduct of burning fossil fuels, reached 407.8 parts per million, which means for every 1 million molecules of gas in the atmosphere, nearly 408 were carbon dioxide. This level is up from the global average of 405.5 parts per million in 2017. The findings follow a trend that shows the planet is continuing to warm at an alarming pace.

“There is no sign of a slowdown, let alone a decline, in greenhouse gases concentration in the atmosphere despite all the commitments under the Paris Agreement on Climate Change,” WMO Secretary-General Petteri Taalas said in a statement.

Carbon dioxide traps heat from the sun and can linger in the atmosphere for centuries. High levels of the greenhouse gas are associated with higher global temperatures and other effects of climate change, such as melting polar ice and rising seas.

Gassho, J

STLah

Leave a comment:

• Daitetsu
    replied
    Hi Meitou,

Originally posted by Meitou
    I have finally started the David Loy book that we were talking about above - and as you say Daitetsu, the opening chapters are upsetting and could feel overwhelming, but what really moved me is how David connects climate action awareness directly to Buddhist practice [ ... ]
    Yes, I liked that as well. David shows a way how to deal with the situation and what one as an individual can do.
    I think it was necessary for him to show the bleak reality in the beginning chapters, so everyone knows what is at stake - entire life on earth.

Thank you so much for sharing the link to the course - will definitely have a look!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day

Leave a comment:

• Meitou
    replied
    Originally posted by Doyū
    Moved to say in this thread that there is, or was, a practice led by a now apparently inactive site called Extinction Witness -- I know the young woman who began this but we have fallen out of touch -- of performing an annual ceremony at or near US Thanksgiving of striking ("inviting" as Thich Nhat Hanh would rather put it) 108 bells as invoking thoughts of atonement toward all species made extinct by human activity. Metta for the dodo, so to speak. Haven't heard of a date for this year and, wishing to keep it up, I did the 108 bells and nine bows before the altar after morning service today, with a Verse of Atonement, for all extinct species. _()_

For Thanksgiving the family has taken up the practice of reciting the Haudenosaunee Thanksgiving Address, which the Haudenosaunee have encouraged other peoples to consider and recite, and which I think goes a long way toward moderating our attitude toward foods, as it implies more than "enough" may be somewhat disrespectful toward the earth and other creatures. Regardless of the varying political and science-based (or otherwise) views of family members, this seems to pull us thoughtfully together, at least for the day.

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Although we don't have Thanksgiving in Europe, I always think it's one of those holidays that we could all do with adopting, adapting it to our own particular cultures - practising gratitude is something that would be so beneficial to us all. I've noted that often those who appear to have the least to be thankful for are often the ones who express real gratitude for what they do have. I marked the day last year, and will do so again this year. This Thanksgiving Address is really beautiful, I love it and thank you for posting.

As part of a short course I'm doing, I have finally started the David Loy book that we were talking about above - and as you say Daitetsu, the opening chapters are upsetting and could feel overwhelming, but what really moved me is how David connects climate action awareness directly to Buddhist practice - I love that I'm reading words that reflect exactly how I feel about this, and it's actually inspiring me rather than overwhelming me with anger or grief.
    Out of interest, this is the course I'm doing http://www.dearearth.co.uk/fordearearth/. It's run by Satya Robyn, a Facebook friend and priest in David Brazier's Amida Pureland Buddhist movement in the UK. Satya is actively engaged in climate activism, and was recently arrested during a demonstration in London on behalf of Extinction Rebellion's interfaith group. She runs the Extinction Rebellion Buddhist group on Facebook. It's a gentle, reflective course which is helping me gain perspective on appropriate responses to the climate crisis. Although not specifically aimed at Buddhists, Satya speaks with an open heart from a Buddhist perspective.

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah

Leave a comment:

• Jakuden
    replied
    Moved to say in this thread that there is, or was, a practice led by a now apparently inactive site called Extinction Witness -- I know the young woman who began this but we have fallen out of touch -- of performing an annual ceremony at or near US Thanksgiving of striking ("inviting" as Thich Nhat Hanh would rather put it) 108 bells as invoking thoughts of atonement toward all species made extinct by human activity. Metta for the dodo, so to speak. Haven't heard of a date for this year and, wishing to keep it up, I did the 108 bells and nine bows before the altar after morning service today, with a Verse of Atonement, for all extinct species. _()_

For Thanksgiving the family has taken up the practice of reciting the Haudenosaunee Thanksgiving Address, which the Haudenosaunee have encouraged other peoples to consider and recite, and which I think goes a long way toward moderating our attitude toward foods, as it implies more than "enough" may be somewhat disrespectful toward the earth and other creatures. Regardless of the varying political and science-based (or otherwise) views of family members, this seems to pull us thoughtfully together, at least for the day.

gassho
    doyu sat today
    That's beautiful, it's like a Mohawk Sutra. I think I will print it out for rereading.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Leave a comment:

• Doshin
    replied

gassho
    doyu sat today

Doshin
    St

Leave a comment:

• Shonin Risa Bear
    replied

Ah, found it! Will ring 108 bells again on Nov. 30. https://www.lostspeciesday.org/

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Last edited by Shonin Risa Bear; 11-27-2019, 02:21 PM. Reason: more information 11/27

Leave a comment:

Working...