[EcoDharma] Are we Destroying the Earth

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doshin
    • May 2015

Thank you for the feedback Tairin, Alina, Hozan and Jenny. At least I know 4 are interested so I will carry on!

I was looking at the views for the Living Earth Thread and there are over 257,000 views and over 1,600 views for this Thread. I should interpret that to mean people are interested and concerned about the Earth and its Biodiversity even if they do not interact with the posts.

One of the motivating factors for me to enter the Zen Path 25 years ago was because of its recognition of interdependence and a vow we take to Save All Sentient Beings. They resonated deeply with my life. I am just a newbie Priest in training but those were the teachings that brought me here.

Doshin
    Stlah

Comment

• Kaitan
      • Mar 2023

I'm also very interested, Doshin. I refrain to comment since I don't feel I have something to add.

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
      Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
      Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Jenny A
        • Mar 2024

I have not read Hannah Ritchie's book, so it may be that she does address my concern somewhere. But in the lists of recommended actions on this thread, I perceive a glaring lack--there is no mention of the need to control human population growth. It seems to me that one of the best things we could do for life on Earth would be to make reliable contraception freely available to every woman and girl across the planet who wants it.

jenny
        stlah

Comment

• Alina
          • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Jenny A
          I have not read Hannah Ritchie's book, so it may be that she does address my concern somewhere. But in the lists of recommended actions on this thread, I perceive a glaring lack--there is no mention of the need to control human population growth. It seems to me that one of the best things we could do for life on Earth would be to make reliable contraception freely available to every woman and girl across the planet who wants it.

jenny
          stlah

Alina
          stlah

Comment

• Doshin
            • May 2015

Jenny,

I don’t know if she addresses human population growth and I report as I read so we shall see. I was born in 1950 and the world population was 2.5 billion and is now around 8 billion. The subject was often addressed by many groups in the 1960s and 1970s and then it became controversial starting in the 1980s so it disappeared from many groups agenda

Doshin
            Stlah
            Last edited by Doshin; 04-29-2024, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Jenny A
              • Mar 2024

Thank you, Doshin. Population seems to me to be an essential part of the puzzle, but the subject has become almost taboo for a variety of reasons. A group called Population Connection still makes it their primary focus. (BTW, I was also born in 1950.)

jenny
              stlah

Comment

Working...