10/19 - Practicing with Relationships p.82

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • helena
    • Oct 2007

Thank you John, for the quote from the Ordinary Mind Zendo. That addressed my questions almost exactly indeed! I also liked this part of that talk:
    There are some aspects of ourselves that don't develop except under the right circumstances. It would be like being the only person in the world with a fax machine or a telephone. If there's only one of them it doesn't do you much good - they only begin to function when there are others like them.

Comment

• helena
      • Oct 2007

I read a chapter in Eknath Easwaran's "The Mantram Handbook". Sometimes, wisdom comes from unexpected sources I thought it was very fitting in this discussion.

If we really want to make progress on the spiritual path, there is no substitute for putting others first. It is the give-and-take of innumerable little encounters with others in our daily life that really wears off the angles and corners of the ego. Unless we reduce our self-will like this, we will simply have too wide a load of self-will to get through some of the strait and narrow gates into our deeper consciousness.

This is why I repeat everywhere that the spiritual life is best led in the midst of people. If we leave our family, give up our job, or drop out of school to go live in a cave high on the Himalayas, three days' journey from the nearest human being, we may find a certain peace of mind, but this is not the kind of peace that lasts. The trees won't offend us; the squirrels won't contradict us; our self-will will play dead because there is no one to rouse it, and we may say, "Ah, how calm and spiritual I am!" But when we come back into the midst of life, dealing with people whose ways are not our ways, we will be more agitated than ever. So let me assure you that whatever your present situation is, it is an excellent one for taking up the spiritual life.

Someone once asked me in very graphic language if putting the other person first all the time doesn't mean making yourself into a doormat. Not at all. We are not really putting others first if we connive at their mistakes or if we let them have their way when they want to go in some wrong direction. It is a sign of great love and great maturity to be able to oppose the other person tenderly and resolutely when he or she is going in the wrong direction. When it seems necessary to say no, we should be able to say it gently and without the slightest trace of resentment or retaliation. We can all learn to disagree without being disagreeable.

Comment

• John
        • Sep 2007

Good quote Helena. Similarly, sometimes I find myself wanting to withdraw from unpleasant situations with people instead of sticking with it right to the end,

Gassho,
        John

Comment

Working...