• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Blue Cliff Record (Case 9) Chao Chou's Four Gates

Dear Friends in All Directions,

The POINTER begins with one of the most powerful analogies we have to express the Insight of Zen ... the Clear Mirror. (As a matter of fact, I made it the centerpiece of the little talk during Zazenkai this time, from 57:30 here: LINK) The mirror holds all things without rejection ... the beautiful and ugly, friend and stranger, good and bad, life and death. We are also this mirror, and our heart can recognize all things with equal non-rejection and acceptance. The mirror shines a light which illuminates all of it. Nonetheless, let us choose the beautiful and peaceful, and not the ugly, greedy and violent. We should know the world all these ways at once ...

... holding all, room for all, accepting, all of it just part of the great show, And yet, we should work to see that ugliness is not beauty, charity is not greed, violence is not peace ... and we should choose the better directions. In the mirror "beautiful vs. ugly" VANISHES ... and yet it does not vanish too, so we should distinguish the two, and know that they are NOT the same.

Chao Chou is the name of a Buddhist priest, but also the name of a town where the priest's temple is located. The CASE plays on this double meaning. So, Chao Chou says he is the 4 city gates. New York City is ever changing, yet also remains on solid ground as people, trains, cars, happy times and sad times, peace and violence passes in and out of its streets. However, I get the sense that, like the town, the priest Chao Chou is a still place while people and events pass through and come and go. He is a still and clear being, although scenes and happenings and thoughts pass in and out of his various senses. He is like the clear mirror which is unmoving, as things come and go within it.

The COMMENTARY reminds us again not to take this as just some intellectual idea of formula, but to really pierce this. It pours forth lots of words to remind us not to get caught in words alone. (I just read a passage this morning, in the Hokyoki, in which Master Dogen said that the truth is in both words and the wordless, but we should not be a prisoner of either.)

The COMMENTARY on the VERSE highlights a bird that is "alive or dead," "going in or coming out" a doorway, a hand that is "open or closed." Such distinctions also vanish in the mirror ... yet they remain.

ASSIGNMENT: Propose a new analogy for something that is still, peaceful or welcoming even as it holds scenes of movement, chaos, struggle, differences. Using the analogy, briefly describe some aspect of your own life that is filled with movement or chaos, busyness or struggle, differences and even some tensions, but that is also held within the analogy you pick.

Here is a song, sadly, a few years old, about hope for peace by opening gates in all directions (there are subtitles to turn on).

Gassho, J
    sttlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-12-2024, 06:00 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Matt Johnson
    • Jun 2024

金剛眼 (Kongōgan)

one part of the mirror

_/\_
    sat/ah
    matt

Comment

• BikeZen
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Jundo
      ASSIGNMENT: Propose a new analogy for something that is still, peaceful or welcoming even as it holds scenes of movement, chaos, struggle, differences. Using the analogy, briefly describe some aspect of your own life that is filled with movement or chaos, busyness or struggle, differences and even some tensions, but that is also held within the analogy you pick.

Gassho, J
      sttlah
      In bicycle riding and racing, a group of cyclists is a peloton. When seen from the outside it appears to be a mass of color and sound moving as one entity, like a school of fish. Sometimes all are in unison and sometimes all are moving around inside. However, inside the peloton it can be like this:

Relive the 2022 pro cycling season with some of the best on-bike footage captured at the biggest races, including the Giro d'Italia, the Tour de France and L...

I work in a large government agency. Our headquarters building is a glass and metal monstrosity and the agency functions and does its thing. Inside though it's like a bike race. Different divisions, branches, offices all doing different things as part of the daily life of the agency to keep it moving and functioning. As an attorney, I work with many disparate sub-organizations that all have roles in the process. Sometimes they are all in unison moving in one direction, sometimes they are at odds and disagree or are trying to out maneuver others in the process for their own goals. For me, I am one part of the entity doing what I do and that's my work environment with all its chaos etc. but it can also flow smoothly and without disturbance.

Gassho,
      Bill
      Sat/Lah

Comment

• Hoko
        • Aug 2009

I'm going to go with the analogy of a television set.

Our television screen brings us visions of peace, love, anger, violence, chaos and confusion, heroism and villainy; but at the same time, it's only pixels flashing.

When a dog appears on the screen, our own dogs will leap off the couch and bark at them!
        Unlike our pets, we know the dog isn't real.
        But at the same time, it is a real dog.

Depending on how invested I am in the show that I'm watching I will feel sadness, anger, excitement or joy; but at the same time, it's only pixels flashing.
        When I switch off the screen, the television becomes just another furnishing in the room.
        Turn it back on and the show resumes...

The news brings scenes of tragedy; how invested will I allow myself to become?
        Something upsetting appears. Do I allow anger to arise? Scenes of war, natural disaster and violence.
        Can I acknowledge that "it's OK" even when it's truly tragic and not OK?

We live in Wisconsin which is one of six "swing states" that may decide the upcoming election.
        This means that we are currently being bombarded with campaign ads from both sides.
        They all sing the same refrain: "if we allow XXX to get elected it will spell disaster for our country!"
        Sometimes the show we're watching is sponsored by these ads and we can't skip them!
        Can I sit there and watch them without judgement?
        Can I wait patiently for them to end; pay them no nevermind?

Each day as I navigate my life I encounter many things: fences, tiles, walls and pebbles. Mountains and rivers; sun, moon and stars.
        Visions of peace, love, anger, violence, chaos and confusion, heroism and villainy.
        All life is our temple!

What is Hoko? 720! 1080p! 4K! 8K!

​Gassho,
        Hoko,

ST/LAH

法 Dharma
        口 Mouth

Comment

Working...