• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[Challenging Times] -(24)- Picking and Choosing - Heiku Jaime McLeod

Dear All,

We turn to this wise essay with news that its author, Heiku Jaime McLeod, will be here as a Guest Teacher at Treeleaf NEXT SUNDAY, January 28th! (EVENT LINK)

In this wise essay she brings home the message that acceptance and equanimity need not mean detachment and uncaring. She also tells stories of open eyed survival.

Heiku's essay starts from page 262. Even if you have not joined in our book readings previously, this one is also highly recommended to all.

For those who do not yet have a copy, I have made a PDF version available here for those waiting for their ordered book, or those unable to afford or obtain the book (second half of the book):https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yQV...usp=share_link

Feel free to jump into the readings and discussion even if you have not read other chapters.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-20-2024, 06:07 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Hōzan
    • Dec 2022

Enjoyed this essay a lot, and especially her grounded view of practice, very much the same as what is taught around here.
    What is the point of Manjushri’s sword if lacking Kannon’s arm to wield it?
    Large swings, small swings, near, or far, equally of value.

Gassho, Hōzan (Michael)
    Satlah

Comment

• Alina
      • Jul 2023

"Do not like, do not dislike"...

...simply do the next right thing, one step after another, tending to whatever needs to be tended to, letting go of whatever weighs us down.

Alina
      ST + LAH

Comment

• Onkai
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Aug 2015

I was struck that taking things as they come up and handling just the next thing as it comes is more skillful than positive thinking. It makes sense that dealing with reality is better than fantasizing about the future, but I had come to believe in positive thinking. Self help books based on positive thinking abound.

Gassho, Onkai
        Sat lah
        美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
        恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Kaitan
          • Mar 2023

I liked the emphasis of "simply do the next right thing, one step after the other" at the very end. Pretty much summarizes the idea of living this life without dissociating from reality, which can lead to spiritual bypassing.

Gassho

stlah, Kaitan
          Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
          Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

Wow! What a great essay. If I was to start quoting passages that spoke to me I would have pretty much quoted the essay in its entirety.

Tairin
            Sat today and lah
            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Alina
              • Jul 2023

Originally posted by Onkai
              I was struck that taking things as they come up and handling just the next thing as it comes is more skillful than positive thinking. It makes sense that dealing with reality is better than fantasizing about the future, but I had come to believe in positive thinking. Self help books based on positive thinking abound.
              I used to believe in it too, until it failed and left me stranded
              Lucky for me I learned this in a non-life threatening situation!

Gassho
              Alina
              stlah

Comment

• Koriki
                • Apr 2022

Yes, the Stockdale Paradox struck a chord in dealing with health issues. On the one hand I do look for new treatments to improve my illness, hoping that maybe someday I will find something that will create a major shift. At the same time I also benefit from assuming that this is probably as good as it's going to get and working on acceptance. I have found that the hope of major improvement with a new treatment only to find that it doesn't work or makes me worse is pretty devestating. And clinging to the hope that someday my function will return to what it used to be is classic Dukkha. OG Dukkha perhaps?

Gassho,
                Koriki

s@lah

Comment

Working...