X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[Challenging Times] -(19)- Beings Are Numberless - Myoshin Kate McCandless

One of the wisest and most compassionate essays in this book, a book of wise and compassionate essays ...

We are at page 204 in the book ... but not too late for anyone to jump in ...

I am content to announce that Myoshin McCandless will be visiting Treeleaf as a Guest Teacher, to talk about this essay, on Saturday November 11th (details to be posted near that time).

Beings are Numberless: When Bodhisattvas get Discouraged.

In a world of ecological destruction, war and other human suffering, how do we act, balancing somehow concern, compassion and equanimity? This is an essay for anyone feeling helpless and sometimes burned out, but wanting still to work for change.

For those who do not yet have a copy, I have made a PDF version available here for those waiting for their ordered book, or those unable to afford or obtain the book (second half of the book):https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yQV...usp=share_link

Feel free to jump into the readings and discussion even if you have not read other chapters.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Tairin
    • Feb 2016

This be is definitely a timely chapter “Beings are Numberless: When Bodhisattvas Get Discouraged “

It is hard to not be discouraged in this time when it seems we humans are determined to destroy ourselves and take much of the life on Earth with us as we go. Climate change, pollution, loss of species, loss of ecosystems, hatred, greed, war, homelessness, addictions, and on and on.

Yet we must continue on doing our best. Every drop helps fill the bucket.

Each of us will respond to the world around us in a different way. We are the arms of the thousand-armed Kanzeon (Kuanyin) bodhisattva of compassion, she who hears the cries of the world Each hand has an eye in the center of its palm, to see the suffering of numberless beings, and each hand has a different tool wit which to respond.
    Thank you Myoshin

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Tairin
      • Feb 2016

Huh? I am not sure where the rest of the thread on this chapter went including Jundo’s original post.

Tairin
      Sat today and lah

Comment

• Tairin
        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Tairin
        Huh? I am not sure where the rest of the thread on this chapter went including Jundo’s original post.

Tairin
        Sat today and lah
        And now it is back.

I may be experiencing a glitch in the matrix.

Comment

• Bion
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Tairin
          And now it is back.

I may be experiencing a glitch in the matrix.
          It was a glitch for you! I could see the thread [emoji1]

Gassho
          Sat and lah
          "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Alina
            • Jul 2023

When we are overwhelmed by all we cannot save, we can take heart in our good companions on the Way, and be reminded of the obvious, that no one can save the world, or awaken, alone. We are not helpless gods, we are humans embodied on and of this earth. And though we often do not believe it, we are never helpless. Our help lies in Buddha, Dharma, and -hardest to remember- Sangha, the numberless beings we vow to save.
            The last paragraph is, for me, the "take home" message of this essay. No matter how overwhelmed we may feel, by taking refuge, by continuing with the practice, we are "keeping the light of the Dharma on" in the mist of all the darkness, and that way we are helping all beings.

Thank you Treeleaf Sangha for sharing the practice

Gassho
            Alina
            ST + LAH

Comment

• Houzan
              • Dec 2022

Trying to climb the unclimbable mountain, far up in the ice cold clouds, I feel utter despair and hopelessness.
              Yet, at the same time, I feel tremendously driven to take that next step, and the next step, and the next, and the next.
              Zen logic.

Gassho, Michael
              Satlah

Comment

Working...